I forgot to say that I have also got a lot of non fiction series separated
too, although they are in the NF section not Select-A-Series.

There is a spinner with Horrible History; Horrible Geography; Dead Famous
and so forth so students who love these can find them easily. Keeps the
shelves tidy too as it stops scrabbling and squabbling.

I have also deliberately purchased simple NF series for our very young
readers and because these are so skinny they get lost on the shelves, and
the littlies can't manage finding them using the catalogue and Dewey, I have
these on a special stand, covers out.  They hardly stay there for more than
a day, and I don't know how many times a child has said "What else have you
got about ..." and I show them where the rest of the titles are.  Don't they
feel empowered when they can then find them for themselves and show their
mates!

Many picture books are also in series in publishers' dumpbins begged from
bookstores, under a sign Family Favourites with all sorts of soft-toy book
characters hanging above.  (These sorts of arrangements also break up the
barn-like space.)

It's not that I am trying to compete with a bookshop (we have so few it
doesn't matter) but I do want every child who comes into my library to have
the thrill of being able to find something they specifically want for
themselves.  I want them to feel that this is a place for them, even though
it may be big and overwhelming, and they can operate in it independently.
That doesn't't mean we don't assist when appropriate but it is nice to be
five and not have to ask for everything.

Our library is nearly back to what it was before it was packed up for
painting in December, so I shall take some photos and update the Virtual
Visit pages of the website over the next couple of weeks when we are off for
our winter break.  I shall let you know, because if you are anything like
me, you love gleaning ideas from other peoples' photos.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School