Some automation systems can handle a change like this.  Select all books
beginning with "Junie B," for example, and temporarily change the call
number from "FIC Par" to "Series Table."  I will confess I am not a
purist in such matters; when I pull out a series to feature it, I don't
change the catalog.  But I do try to mark the spot on the shelves where
the series belongs alphabetically, to re-direct the patron to its
current spot.

You can put a marker on the shelf where the series belongs--Demco and
Highsmith have a nice selection of plain plastic ones that you can write
on, or attach a note to, indicating where the series is.  A "book dummy"
works, too--a book-sized cardboard "space holder" which can mark the
spot a series should be.  Kind of like a 3-D cross-reference. Some of my
featured items gradually did merit a new call number in my library,
because a "temporary situation" turned out to meet the needs of my
patrons.  For example, I now have an "FS" section, which stands for "Fun
Stuff," and includes book & puppet sets, math games, geography games,
puzzles, and so on.  All the call numbers on the items and the catalog
records reflect this.

I'm wondering how other LM_Netters handle temporary book displays, such
as holiday books, or "back to school" stories.  Most teachers and
students see the display as they walk in, and take what they like from
there.  Every now and then, though, a teacher will fruitlessly search
the shelves for "Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten," not
realizing it's on display near the circulation desk.  If I check it out
to "display," or something like that, the teacher checks the catalog,
and sees that it's out.  But with limited time and and staff, I couldn't
possibly change the catalog or mark the bookshelves for, say, every
"winter" book we pull for display.  Any ideas?

--Thanks
Anne-Marie Gordon

Anne-Marie Gordon, Librarian
Livonia Primary School
Livonia, NY
agordon@livoniacsd.org
http://www.livoniacsd.org/primaryschool/gordon/index.htm

The Three Rules of the Librarians of Time and Space are: 1) Silence; 2)
books must be returned no later than the last date shown; and 3) Do not
interfere with the nature of causality.
--Terry Pratchett, "Guards! Guards!"
>>> Holly Wolf <hwolf1@ROCHESTER.RR.COM> 06/30/05 1:43 PM >>>
Separate shelving for series?   Not unless you change the catalog to
reflect the new location!