If your district has a web page, the BEST way is to post them to a library page or
something so that your student can get to them from school or home.  Then you can
keep them organized and use them easily with your classes because the only time
they won't be available to you is when your web site is down and you couldn't get
to the web anyway.

There are two ways our students can get to the URL's the teachers want them to use.
 Via the teacher's name or through the subject lists.  The students go to the JR
High page and click on the drop down tab for the Pick your teacher or topic.  They
now have access to all of the URL's the teacher is going to be using for this unit.
 When they are finished the URL's are still there, and students that need to finish
up can do so.
http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/JHS/JrHS.cfm

The teachers have various methods of getting things to their lists.  They will show
me the assignment they are thinking of and ask me for helping in finding websites
that really fit their needs, making sure that the filter doesn't block them.  I
then search and e-mail them all of the sites I find.  They send back the ones they
would like to have posted to their names and what subject to use.  Or, they can do
the searching and e-mail them to me to post.  It takes about 1 minute to put a URL
up for them.  Thursday I had the choir teacher trying to get his choir to a website
by reading the URL, seems easy to 8th and 9th graders, but there was just something
about it.  Even when I took his note from him and typed it in it didn't work; I did
a quick Google, found the page, posted it to the music sites and then told the
students where to find it, in less than 3 minutes we were back on track.

I also have a page of URL's posted to the same link above with URL's that I've
found.  From the SJHS Library link you can get to over 1400 websites packed with
great information.

My teachers love this, we can easily get the students to the sites we want them to
use, they have several options to complete the assignment and they aren't wasting
time surfing.  Each computer isn't clogged with bookmarks.  Students can get to
their information from home connections to finish up.

I believe most of the five schools in our district are using this to keep teacher's
URL's collected and available.  If you back up to the root of the URL you will see
the district home page.  From there on the left corner is a drop down that says
visit our schools.  You can find these learning links, pick your teacher or topic
on most of the other schools' WebPages.

I designed it, the web page dude built it.  We've been using it for four years.  If
I say I spend 20 minutes a week on it I'd be exaggerating.

Jean

R. Jean Gustafson
Teacher/Librarian
Selah Jr. High