Kay and All -
I am in a different situation than yours, in an elementary school, but I have a
suggestion that may help, possibly.
The first time I see each class I send home a "permission slip" This letter reminds
parents and students that any library material they borrow must be paid for or
returned in good condition.
The slip must be signed and returned, whith the "I give my child permission to
borrow library materials" checked, before any books are borrowed. I don't add the
students' name to our circulation program until the slip is returned.
Although it hasn't eliminated the problems, I think it is an eye opener for some
parents (those who take the time to read it)
I have kids who never bring the slip back - they don't borrow books.
I have kids whose parents check the NO box - those students may borrow materials to
use in their classrooms. If something goes home and I find out (because they forget
it, or loose it) then that's the end of the borrowing.
My circualtion program is set so when a child has an over due book it won't let
them borrow anything else without me clicking past the warning screen. Yes, I have
kids with books way, way overdue. But nat as much as before I started using the
letter.

By the way I just placed a book order and the books were all at least $16.95 and
higher. Next year I am going to add a sentence to my letter about the cost of the
books, just for the parents' information.

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Bullock School
Glassboro, NJ