Yesterday,

A young teenaged guy who uses the library to hang out a lot.  He's not a bad kid,
just a bit silly acting sometimes that gets him tossed out.  Well, for a few years
now, he's been coming in and telling me how he hates to read.

So, yesterday he comes up to me and asks "Greek people, what country do they come
from?"

I swear, I was ably to answer without even cracking a grin.

Then he starts asking if Alexander might have known Jesus.  So, I tell him that
Alexander the Great lived way before Jesus.  So, I told him I could find him a lot
of books on the ancient Greeks.  While looking for them, he started asking who the
Romans were and if the Greeks and Romans were the same people.

So, I gave him books on the Romans too.  I also basically did a timeline of the
history of Western Civilization in less than 5 minutes.

Anyway, he is actually reading the books!  He asked me if it was okay to hide them
under my desk so they didn't get re-shelved, so I said ok.  (I'm in a public
library).

And he came back today and got them and hid them again when he left a few hours
later.  I told him he could take them home, but he said "I couldn't go bring any
books into my house, they'd all laugh at me."

Then today, a senior who's been coming in ever since 8th grade and who I helped
with her college aps and essays told me she'd been accepted into every single
college she'd applied for.  Gosh, she was so proud, she was shining.

Oh yeah, and the stapler I tethered to a study carrel with metal cable is still
there.  I'm still working on how to tether a 3-hole punch w/o screwing up the
mechanism.

It's been a good couple days.

And, I roped my hubby (he's a therapist with the local non-profit Children's Aid
Society) into doing a series of parenting workshops for pregnant and teen parents
this month.

They're going well too.

Dawn M. Sardes
Teen Services Librarian