Different dialects of Chinese have different words for the same item.
Not sure which is which, but  in Cantonese and Mandarin, one is called
a hung bao  and one a laisee.  So, yes, both words represent the red
envelopes given at Chinese New Year.

  I used the red envelopes when I read Sam and the Lucky Money to my
first graders - I just showed them the envelope, as I did not have
enough to give to all students.

On Mar 10, 2005, at 7:32 PM, D. J Hendrickson wrote:

> We made red envelopes (elementary school) to go with Sam and the Lucky
> Money. There is a great pattern at mycopycat.com. ...... The name that
> copycat used was leisee so I hope
> that they are the same as mentioned below.
> Thanks,
> Deb Hendrickson
>
> On Thursday, March 10, 2005, at 06:28 PM, Suzanne Ng wrote:
>
>> I bought mine from Oriental trading .
>>
>> www.oriental.com or www.orientaltrading.com
>>
>> 2 dozen are $3.95 - item IN-3/414
>>
>>  3 1/2" x 7 1/4" Mini Paper Lucky Money Bags. Each bag bears the
>> Chinese symbol for "congratulations". (2 dozen per unit)
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Anthony C. Doyle wrote:
>>
>>> I will be reading Ruby's Wish by Shirin yim Bridges to our special
>>> day
>>> class as part of the California Young Reader Medal program.  As a
>>> treat I would like to give each student a gift certificate for a
>>> candy bar
>>> at our student store in a "hung bao" (red good-luck envelope).  ----
>>> Tony Doyle, Librarian

Suzanne Ng, Librarian