Hello, folks.

Lots of people expressed an interest in the Mother Goose project we do with our
kindergarteners, which involves the Art, Music, PE, and Library teachers.  I've put
an overview of what we do in this message.

A few people asked for my lesson plans, which I have e-mailed separately to them
since it's a long file.

Feel free to e-mail any questions.

Mother Goose on the Loose!
A Related Arts Unit

Rationale:
Why learn nursery rhymes in Art, Physical Education, and Library?
--Nursery rhymes help students to learn rhythm and rhyme, and to practice speech in
an enjoyable way.
--Our reading program features many nursery rhymes for its youngest students.
--Some students do not hear these traditional rhymes at home.
--Students will encounter references to nursery rhymes in many other
places*literature, movies, even the Internet.

Learning Mother Goose rhymes helps meet these learning standards
Information Literacy Standard #5
NYS Learning Standards for the Arts #1
NYS Learning Standards for the Arts #3
NYS Learning Standards for ELA #2
NYS Learning Standards for Health and Physical Fitness: #1

Overview:
The children met a variety of nursery rhymes in four different settings over a
month's time.  Activities in the library, in the gym, in music class, and in art
class repeated and reinforced this learning.

The Unit:
Physical Education:  In the gym, students used a combination of gross motor and
fine motor skills to act out rhymes.  During class time in the gym, the children
went in turn to several learning stations, each featuring a different rhyme.  These
activities improved the skills needed to follow a motor sequence.  Some of the
stations were:
--Humpty Dumpty:  the school's OT/PT teacher had her older students create a Humpty
Dumpty doll with a head and limbs that attached by Velcro to a central body.  Kids
had to "put Humpty together again!"
--Hey Diddle Diddle:  kids donned very simple costumes made of felt and acted out
the rhyme:  the cow jumped over a paper moon, the dish ran away with the spoon, etc.
--One, two, buckle my shoe:  the kids buckled shoes, lined up sticks, etc.

Art:  In art class, the children created projects based on nursery rhymes.
--Star light, Star bright:  children created collages around the theme of wishing.
--Humpty Dumpty:  children created Popsicle-stick puppets of the characters in the
rhyme.

Music:  in Music class, the children learned traditional nursery rhymes and
fingerplays set to music.

Library:  In library, the children read nursery rhymes with the librarian.  They
learned about the history of the rhymes, found out where they could be found in the
library, and borrowed Mother Goose books to read at home.

A Few Resources

Charlesworth, Liza.  Folk & Fairy Tale Mini-books.  Scholastic, 2001.

Opie, Iona Archibald.  Here Comes Mother Goose.  Candlewick  Press, 1999.

Opie, Iona Archibald.  My Very First Mother Goose.  Candlewick Press, 1996.

Vail, Rachel.  Over the Moon.  Orchard Books, 1998

NYS Curriculum, Instruction, and Instructional Technology:
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/home.html

Mother Goose Society:
http://www.librarysupport.net/mothergoosesociety/

Anne-Marie Gordon, Librarian