Dear Netters:

Maybe it's some kind of nasty epidemic, but I, too, have been shut down
professionally here in my district.  Today, I was told to stay out of
library financial matters and to stop helping the inexperienced library aide
they put in to replace me at the school where I worked for over 6 years. All
because I tried to make sure we didn't lose over $2000 in Library GO Bond
money and called the state library myself to ask for an extension.  I got
it, too and apparently that's why everyone's so mad.  So we're going to let
the money revert back to the state, the elementary library is going to lose
out on lots of new materials and we're not a district that can afford that.
The district is now even refusing to buy my totally reimbursable plane
ticket to an expense-paid workshop in North Carolina to which I was accepted
and would be going to gain information to share with teachers and use in
classroom collaborations.  And I wasn't even given a reason.  Just told "the
district just can't do that right now" because they're mad at me over this
other incident.

So anyway, I am not in search of a new position, preferably east of the
Mississippi and not too far north, but I'm open to suggestions.  I've found
that I enjoy working in the high school library and would like to continue
that, but would be willing to return to elementary if the situation was
right.  I am interested only in situations where the library is well
supported and well staffed.  I've had my years of working as a solo act and
would really like to continue having at least a half-time aide.  If anyone
knows of good situations opening up next year, please contact me directly.
This whole thing is really disappointing to me because we have a great state
association here and I enjoy being a part of that and there a lots of good
things about this small community, but maybe it's just time to go.  I know
you folks will have some great ideas. Thanks in advance.

Marian Royal
Librarian
Socorro High School
Socorro, New Mexico