I've been using LM_Netter Cheryl Youse's weeding worksheet (see the
archives April 2nd post re: weeding worksheet) this week with 5th
graders.  (I wouldn't use it lower than 5th grade, but I'm happy to report
they are handling the job very well!)

I start out by talking about all the things to do when gardening.  Have
students tell favorite job from the list and then ask them to tell least
favorite:   they always say weeding.
Then I hand out Cheryl's worksheet and have them read the description of
weeding.  We talk about some of the kinds of libraries that don't or
shouldn't be weeded (like the Library of Congress) and then I explain why
we want to weed ours.
I give them a few pointers about choosing which book to select off the
shelves for weeding consideration (choose an area of non-F that you're very
familiar with, choose an area in which you feel you're an "expert",
etc.)  and set them loose on choosing and filling out the worksheet side of
the handout.
They are taking it very seriously and finding some real candidates for weeding!

Of course, I'm looking over every worksheet and finding it fun to write
back to each one of them  (150 students'/books in all) on why I agree with
them or some other factors they might not have thought about that'll make
us want to keep the book.   My husband also gave me the idea to sometimes
suggest that the weed might be "transplanted" to a middle school, high
school library or department that might find it particularly useful.

For fun - the 3rd graders are then "feeding" the library this week.  They
get to look through catalogs and write a persuasive letter recommending a
book I should buy for the library.
Thanks Cheryl.  And to the rest of you - you've got to try it!  Great end
of year activity.

Marcia

Marcia Dressel, K-5 Librarian   dressel@osceola.k12.wi.us
Osceola Schools