I would like to post this on our local list but I don't want the student to
be able to be identified by those in nearby schools who might read this...

One of our little kinders took out some books at the beginning of this year
and they have not yet been returned, despite our asking for them. He just
kept saying they were  at his dad's house, and as we have quite a few kids
who are shuffled between one home or another, we just assumed that next time
he was with dad he would get them.

Today, we found out that he and his siblings were removed from the parental
home by welfare authorities and placed in foster care some time ago.  No
wonder he couldn't get the books back.  So when his class came for borrowing
today and once again he lined up without a book to take home and looking
very mournful, we told him that in very special cases we were allowed to
break the rules and asked him if he would like to borrow a book anyway.
Well, if we never see the book again, it doesn't matter because it was worth
it to see the smile that broke out on this little chap's face.  He was off
to the shelves in a flash and back with something he had his eye on for
ages.  The only thing bigger than his smile was the b-e-a-m on his face when
we found him a super-duper special library bag.

Such a small thing for us, such a big thing for him.  It makes it all
worthwhile - and what will he think about libraries and reading in the
future???
Barbara

P.S. Please note my new email address.

Barbara  Braxton