Thanks to all the responses I received about showing movies on a bus during a
field trip.  I had many people ask for a hit, so here it is.  Just about
everyone said that you must have a public performance license, which we do not.
 Even if the movie ties into the field trip, it is still illegal.  My principal
said that no one was allowed to show moives on the bus while going to a field
trip for any reason.  Here are the responses I received.

Are you using school buses or charter buses? Most of the charter
companies have purchased the licenses that cover showing regular movies on
trips. Contact the bus company to find out if they are covered.
Since so many of the charter buses have TVs on them, most of them have
purchased the licenses. If they say yes, it is a great way to keep the
students occupied and quiet on the bus.

Just because the video is 'owned' versus being 'rented' does not make
it ok to show...even if it is owned by the school. When you purchase a
video, you purchase the right to show it in conjunction with a face to face
teaching moment...tied to a lesson. (Occasionally companies do grant rights
to the purchaser to show at any time, but that is usually specified
someplace in the catalog or on the order form.) Any other showing is
considered a violation. We have teachers showing movies for rainy days when
they can't go outside, rewards for good behavior each six weeks, and even
bus trips. This violates copyright unless you have a license. I try to
convince my elementary schools to purchase a license. I have one for our
high school teachers (since I found Legally Blonde 2 in a VCR/TV unit that
was returned). Then, we can show movies on those long bus rides.

Here is a site to help find licensing info. The cost depends on the number of
students. Our school purchased licensing for just the number of students that
go on the trip...eventhough we have 6-8..we only purchased for  the numer of
7&8th graders because only they go on the trips that watch videos...I hope this
is helpful. Dorothy Miller
http://www.mplc.com/

Kathleen Cool
Elem. Librarian