Here is the second part of the hit on cell phones and ids.
George Anne Draper, librarian
Wynne High School, Wynne, AR
gdraper@wynne.k12.ar.us

We are a very large high school. The students are required to wear IDs
with lanyards at all times. It is helpful to the library, because the
student ID number is barcoded and is their library card that we scan.  A
major problemis that not all teachers require the students to have them
in the classroom, so consistency is the key for success.
Several years ago, one of the librarians said OK to having the ID
machine in the library. I just finished my MLS in December and this is
my second year as a librarian. I am trying very hard to get rid of the
ID machine and have it as a registration step when a student enters
school. (None of my library classes mentioned ID making:)
My advice: Do not have the ID machine in the library, if you value
doing library work.
Cell phones are not allowed on during school hours. If they are found,
they are confiscated. A parent has to go to our police station, pay a
fine to pick it up, or it is kept to the end of the semester. ( I think
the fine is $15). So far, that policy has helped with cell phones. Good
luck.
*--------
Students in my middle school may bring cell phones to
school but they must be kept in their locker during the
day.  If a student is caught with a cell phone during the
day a parent must come in to pick it up.
*-------
Our policy is cellphones must be turned off during class time.  If a
staff member sees a student using a cell phone during the school day it
is to be confiscated (I have taken two this year) and turned into the
vice principal.  Before and after school we tell kids to take their
phones out of the library if they need to talk for the sake of common
courtesy.

Camera phones are strictly forbidden on campus.  This last part is all
but unenforceable.  In a year or two almost all phones will have built
in cameras so I don't know what will be done.
*-------
We have a no cell phone policy that is actually a state law. If a teacher sees a
kid using a phone, he/she may confiscate the phone. It is then given to our
security team and the student can get it back at the end of the day. I don't know
if there are further consequences for subsequent infractions.
*-------
I can only speak for two schools: the middle school I work at has a "no
cell phone" policy.  They are not to be brought to school, period.  I
don't know whether there is a penalty other than confiscation for the
remainder of the day.  The high school that my son attends (same school
district) has a "no cell phones during school" policy.   Cell phones
are not to be seen, used, or turned on during the school day, however
before and after school the students may use them to arrange rides,
etc. (and I'm sure there's a lot of etc.!)  I don't know about
penalties.  Hope this helps.
*------
We have a NO cell phone policy. If we see or hear one, we are to pick it up.
The students are charged $10.00 (each time) and parent/grandparent/guardian
is required to come pick it up. I am a little down on that policy right now
because we have sent a certain young lady to the office for refusing to hand
over her cell phone (and we were nice the first sighting with a warning).
She came back and nothing happened because she 'fabricated' and told the
principal that she didn't have one and we were just picking on her. So write
it so that there is no leniency!

We used to require ID's on lanyards, but our asst. principals spent more
time with discipline than patrolling out on the campus. We now require that
they carry them...pocket, wallet, purse, etc., but no one does. The lunch
room lets them get by with just typing in their number. We require the
ID...which is what we were told to do...and we are the 'crabby' librarians
who require ID's.
*-------
Lanyards for ID's did not work for us.  First of all, having them around
their neck gave some immature students the illusion of having a pacifier
and they constantly had them in their mouths sucking and biting on  them
(yuck!!).  Because of the length of the lanyards, students were
constantly leaning over their desks and breaking them (I even did this
myself).  The hooks on the lanyards also pulled out of the holes and I
was constantly having to punch new holes in ID badges.  By the 2nd
semester, a lot of them were in terrible shape.

This year I laminated them with a 3m ID lamination kit from Highsmith and
we used the badge clips. The results have been much better.  We have
uniforms so the kids have a collar to attach them to.

If you're having problems with visibility, I would suggest a statement in
your handbook under badge policy that says it is the student's
responsibility to wear the badge in a visible location (and specify
collar, etc.).  Of course, some students will deliberately wear badges
backward.  I am toying with the idea of printing them exactly alike on
both sides.

Good luck on cell phones.  I laughingly suggested to my principal that we
accidently break all the cell phones we confiscated or at least lock them
up for a week before we returned them.  But of course, some parents would
go ballistic and sue.
The best thing we ever did on our cell phone policy was to charge a fee to
get them back.  They can get them back without paying and the fee must be
paid before report cards, etc. can be released to them.  Basically every kid
still has a cell phone, but they keep them turned off and out of sight.

We have the same policy as you on IDs, but we are about to change it.  Next
year the policy will be that they must have the ID on them, but will not be
required to wear them around their neck.  It is just too big a fight and we
(students AND faculty) don't see the benefits of wearing them around the
neck outweighing the energy it takes to keep making them put them on.