When our school first opened (2000) our principal did not want the books in
the library as she felt they were poorly written and she didn't like the
topics.

Last year, with a new principal, I again asked if I could have these books
in the library. She was open to the idea but wanted to bring it to the
staff. The staff agreed with the provision that if a parent asked that
his/her child not take the books out, the request would be respected (and it
would be). I put my first Goosebumps books out this year--and have had no
complaints as of yet and hopefully I won't. The kids were quite excited when
they realised that some of the "new books" were Goosebumps.

They may not be "literature" but if it gets some of our more reluctant
readers interested in reading, they've served a purpose. I've read a couple
of them and they seemed to "scare" through suspense rather than gore. But
then I'm not a good judge of "scary" as I was reading VC Andrews at 11 and
Stephen King by 13; the horror genre is one of my favourites.

All the Goosebumps I have are donations--I'm not inclined to spend budget
money on them but then again, I don't need to as I get enough via donations.

Later

Stacy

Stacy L.A. Bugden
Library Technician