Greetings,

Background first:  I work in a university with 4 libraries.  Yesterday, at the main
undergrad library, a student was caught cutting material out of journals.  While
many of my colleagues were shocked, I was not because I have been a school
librarian and a state consultant for school libraries.  In the state where I worked
at the time (South Dakota), it was common practice for high school libraries to
only keep short backfiles of magazines (5 yrs or so) and then allow students to cut
pictures etc. from them for class projects.

Now the question:  I'd like to get a sense if that is common practice around the
country.  While I'm not really interested in getting a mailbox full of responses
from individual libraries (ex. "I only keep 3 years in MY library"), I would like
folks to give me a sense of practice in your state.  Is it common to have short
backfiles, and do libraries commonly allow students to cut up old magazines for
class projects?

Thanks for your input.  I'll compile a hit if folks are interested.

Donna Nix
University of St. Thomas
Minneapolis, MN
dgillila@aol.com or denix@stthomas.edu