Hi folks,
    Here is my info on graphic novels and manga.  It is very long so I am
going to divide it up into several parts.  One other listserv to which I
belong had troubles accepting my message so if it doesn't work for whatever
reason, email me off list and I will forward it to you as an attachment.

I have included all our graphic novels, manga, comic books and cartoon strip
books.  Graphic novels are books illustrated in a comic book style but have
a single story whereas comic books will have a series of shorter stories.
Comics are ususally much shorter and printed on thinner, cheaper paper.
Manga are graphic novels, however they originated in Asia (specifically
Japan but Korean and Chinese artists/writers have now embraced the art form)
  They have a distinctive art and writing style that is identifiable after
reading only a few.  Some people use the terms “anime” and “manga”
interchangeably.  In fact, anime refers to animated movies in the same style
as manga.  The term “anime” is a shortened form of the English word
“animation” and is commonly used in Japanese.  Cartoon strip books are
exactly what they are called, collections of newspaper cartoon strips.  Some
books fall into more than one category.  I have indicated graphic novels as
(GN), manga as (M), comic books as (CB) and cartoon strip books as (CS).  If
I think a particular title is a “must have” I have put a star beside it.

Diane Gallagher-Hayashi
Teacher-librarian
Stelly's School
SD63 (Saanich)
Saanichton, B.C.
Canada, V8M 1S8

Library Anecdote:
Patron: "I am looking for a globe of the earth."
Librarian: "We have a table-top model over here."
Patron: "No, that's not good enough. Don't you have a life-size?"
Librarian: (pause) "Yes, but it's in use right now."
From: Overdue Laughs (http://www.librarysupportstaff.com/libhumor.html)