All-new Tenchi Muyo – Hitoshi Okudo (M)
Akira – Katsuhiro Otomo (M) **This is a classic, however it does contain
considerable violence.  You should definitely preview before buying to make
sure it is suitable for your audience.
Rising starts of manga (M)
Usagi yojimbo – Stan Sakai (M)
Demon Wars – R.A. Salvatore (M)
Persepolis – Marjane Satrapi (GN) **
Persepolis 2: the story of a return – Marjane Satrapi (GN) **just as good as
the first however you should preview as some of the content may not be
suitable for every school
Crouching tiger, hidden dragon – Andy Seto (GN/M)
Shonen jump (M)
Maus: a survivor's tale – Art Spiegelman **Absolutely a must have – deals
with WWII and the Holocaust
Star wars: The Empire strikes back (GN)
Star wars: a new hope (GN)
Star Wars: Infinities - a new hope (GN)
Star wars tales (GN)
Delicate creatures – J. Michael Straczynski (GN)
D N Angel – Yukiru Sugisaki (M)
Ranma ½ - Rumiko Takahashi (M) **another classic – there is some content
that you should check out first – the main character turns into a girl when
water is thrown on him
InuYasha – Rumiko Takahashi (M) **currently the highest seller at most comic
book shops
Maison Ikkoku – Rumiko Takahashi (M)
Shaman king – Hiboyuki Takei (M)
Tale of one bad rat – Bryan Talbot (GN)
Miss Me? – Tomoko Taniguchi (M)
Astroboy – Osamu Tezuka (M) not as popular in the high school but I think
would probably be fine for middle school boys
Hobbit or There and back again – J.R.R. Tolkien (GN) **
Dragon Ball – Akira Toriyami (M)
Jinki: Extend – Sirou –Tunasima (M)
Asterix chez Rahazade  - Albert Uderzo (GN)** French
Asterix : La Rose et le glaive – Albert Uderzo (GN)** French
Rurouni Kenshin – Nobuhiro Watsuki (M) a current top seller
Imadoki nowadays – Yu Watase (M)
Alice 19th – Yu Watase (M)
Essential Calvin and Hobbes: a Calvin and Hobbes treasury – Bill Watterman
(Cs)
It's a magical world – Bill Watterman (Cs)
Yukon Ho! – Bill Watterman (Cs)
Pedro and me: friendship, loss, and what I learned – Judd Winick (GN) **
deals with AIDS, death, and loss
Full house – Soo Yon Won (M)
Those who hunt elves – Yu Yagami (M)
Banana fish – Akimi Yoshida (M)

Things I am missing but intend to buy in the near future –
Fruits Basket (M)
Spiderman/Superman/Batman/Fantastic Four comics
Useful notes about selecting and buying graphic novels, manga, and comic
books.  I would never buy without having the book in my hand and flipping
through it for content.  Most cities or towns have at least one comic book
store, which will be the best place to buy.  The people who work in these
stores are often very knowledge and can be a great resource.

Useful websites on Graphic Novels and Manga, etc.
http://www.noflyingnotights.com/index2.html
http://www.friends-lulu.org/
http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/jen/graphic.htm
 http://www.abcb.com/misc/revw_00.htm
http://www.readingonline.org/newliteracies/jaal/11-02_column/
http://www.koyagi.com/Libguide.html
http://www3.telus.net/public/yewtree/CurriculumConnections&Comics/index.html

http://www.artbomb.net/comics/introgn.jsp
http://www.graphicnovels.brodart.com/history.htm
And for some thought provoking articles on manga and anime try…
http://stuff.mit.edu/people/rei/Anime.html