Maybe we should just eliminate the fiction section as FICTION and adopt a new
system--- BOOKSTORE GENRE.

Since fiction is basically a separation of the 800's from the DDC (as a whole), why
couldn't we create a new system that is genre-based (perhaps alphabetical by the
genre name and then the first three letters of the author's last name).

There would have to be a list of specific genres (we could check the bookstores for
these, of course) and then create a new "fiction" section.  As patrons browsed,
they would know that MYSTERIES would be under M (that letter would be on the
bookcase) and then they could search alphabetically for the author's last name for
the book.  Everything would still be in alphabetical order by the author's last
name once it was within the genre group...the books would just be in smaller groups
rather than one large group called "fiction."

Just some more "off the wall" thoughts...on this creative night! <grin>

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School