Dear Librarians,

My students and I have been having such a good time with our Library
Treasure Hunt, that I thought I'd share it with you.

This is a big library and the children tend to select books from the
sections they are familiar with. The purpose of this exercise is to help them
learn
the lay-out, choose new types of books, learn Dewey Decimal system (sort  of),
work in pairs, learn by doing, have fun, etc....

This is done with 2nd and 3rd graders. Unfortunately the 4 & 5th  graders do
not have regularly scheduled library classes. They could certainly  use the
lesson.  The third graders get it immediately but it is a stretch  for some of
the second graders.  My feeling is - if they don't get it right  away - they
will by the third time they try it.

At the beginning I ask the class: What is the treasure we are hunting  for?
They always know the answer: Books!
Why do we consider books to be  treasures? And we have a discussion about
that.
An essential part of the  introduction is learning about call numbers and
spine labels.

These treasure hunts take 3 weeks.  It's a big library and we divide  into 3
groups. Each group works in one section. The next time, they switch  sections.
 I take one group of 8 in the non- fiction/biography section, my  assistant
takes the picture book/easy reader section and my student intern has  the group
in the fiction section. Yes, I know, I'm lucky to have all this help.  When
the intern was absent one day, we used a volunteer mom.

I created and then laminated about 12 shelf markers for each section
(regular 81/2 x11 paper cut in 3 columns).  Each section is a different  color (ex:
Fiction is yellow). The name of the treasure is printed on the shelf  marker.
Example: They are given a shelf marker with "FIC DAH (DAHL)". They have  to
find the "D" shelf, pull out MATILDA (or another Dahl book), put the shelf
marker in its place and show it to the adult.  Or they get one that reads  "JUNIE
B. JONES - IN A BIN" and they have to find her.  Each pair of  students gets a
turn doing each of the tasks.

For the non-fiction treasure hunt, I have the number and subject on the
shelf marker, and point them in the right direction. Example: 811 POETRY or  636.7
PETS. Any poetry book is fine - it must have the correct call  number.  The
biographies are the most challenging.  For example, "B  POCAHONTAS" confuses
them.  Some of them don't yet get that Pizarro is  before Pocahontas. The z
mixes them up. But they keep in there trying, and  working in pairs really helps.

When they find the book, bring it to me, get a compliment, run back for the
shelf marker and come for the next job, often they are jumping.  Ready,  ready
for more!  That, my dear librarians, is the best part - these little  jumping
treasure hunters surrounding me wanting more challenges.

If you have any questions about my treasure hunt, I'd be happy to share  more
details with you!

Sincerely,
REBECCA  REITZ
Librarian