Just to add some more ideas to Rebecca's treasure hunt ... this is done after three
of four 40
minute sessions about non fiction being shelved by number, number sequencing, the
importance of each
number including those after the point, the physical arrangement of the shelving
and how to use the
signage we have to help the search.  We have HEAPS of signage - on shelves, on
walls, hanging from
the ceiling - because I wanted to make my library accessible to even the youngest
kindy kid, even
those with a learning disability.

Here in Australia we don't get our books pre-processed so any cataloguing and
covering is done
in-house.  That gives me, in my case, lots of glossy dust-covers which I keep.  I
cut these up
jigsaw fashion, laminate the pieces and put each in a ziplock bag.  (For fiction, I
swap a couple of
pieces over so students have to negotiate with other groups for their pieces to
complete the
puzzle.)  When each puzzle has been completed by a couple, they have to go to the
OPAC, find the
call number, check that it is available and then find the actual book.  They also
return clamouring
for more.

This works best with Yr 4 (9-10 year olds) up though - I am also doing it with Yr 3
classes but am
finding that many of them find the number sequence confusing and overwhelming in
the beginning.

Although I explained the generalities of the Dewey system, I have no expectation
that they will
remember what the key divisions are - I just tell them that as long as they can
count from 0-999
they can find any book in almost any library in the world.  we're happy with that.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School