Thanks to everyone for all the ideas!  Sorry for the delay in posting.
Kari Chwirka
Teacher-Librarian
East Ridge Elementary
chwirkak@juno.com
I bleieve Hatchet (and the follow-up story) by Paulsen occurs in <?xml:namespace
prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Canada (plane
crash) and Anne of Green Gables is there as well.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Hi,
You might want to try this website, www.accessola.com and look under the reading
programs section. Silver Birch books are for students in grades 4-6. These are
selected Canadian books and you can see the books chosen from previous years. I
think there is a little write-up about each book too.
Some recommended authors would be:
Eric Walters - Camp X is an excellent read
Julie Lawson - most of her stories take place out west
(B.C. and Alberta)
Andrea Spalding
Eric Wilson - great mystery writer with Canadian settings
Jean Little
Maxine Trottier
There is also a series called Dear Canada (Like Dear America) that are diary type
books dealing with historical fiction and another series called Our Canadian Girl
which also deals with historical fiction.
Hope this is of some help.

Check my library webpage: http://damascus.gresham.k12.or.us/~greer
STudent webpage---> Countries---> North America----> Canada

If I came across something, I have it listed.  If you have other good 5-8th grade
titles, I would love to add it.
JaKay

Brain Doyle is one of Canada's most loved and honored authors.  His stories  all
have a setting in Canada.  His web-site is:
http://www.groundwoodbooks.com/authors/bdoyle.htm Patty Cejda

Eternal Spring of Mt. Ito by Sheila GarrigueRoot Cellar by N.R. JacksonDisconnect
by Shelley HidlitschkaVancouver Nightmare by Eric H. Wilson (a mystery)Everything
on a Waffle by Polly Horvath Some of these may be just a bit sophisticated for
5th-6th graders.Vancouver Nightmare would defitinely be ok for them. Heidi M.
GlebTeacher-LibrarianSylvester Middle School

Jean Little's books; The Eternal Spring of Mr. Ito; Janet Lunn.  You might also
want to check Horn Book.  They run a feature about books from Canada.

*******************************
Leslie Greaves Radloff
Teacher/ Librarian

Hello, If you are looking for contemporary settings, you might want to considerEric
Wilson's "Liz and Tom Austen Mysteries".  They are a set of mysterystories set
(mostly) in different Canadian venues.  Following is anAmazon.com link to his books
- he also has his own website with teacherguides for the
bookshttp://members.shaw.ca/ericwilsonweb/books.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=s_sf_b_as/102-7803726-3700969
 If you are looking for historical settings, Eric Walters has some greatbooks: Camp
X and Camp 30 are set in Ontario during WWII; The HydrofoilMystery is set in Nova
Scotia during WWI; The Bully Boys is set inOntario during the War of 1812.
Scholastic Canada also has a historicalfiction set called "Dear Canada", and
Penguin Canada has a set called"Our Canadian Girl".  Both these sets are written by
well-known Canadianauthors, and are really quite good. Lou Murray GorvettLibrary
Technician/Site AdministratorCanadian Martyrs Elementary School
Hemon, Louise.  Maria ChapdelaineSterling, Shirley.  My name is SeepeetzaBruchac,
Joseph.  The Winter People         The Hemon book would be a bit of a challenge for
many at that grade level.  The Sterling book is based on the author's experiences
at an Indian school in British Columbia.  It is not pleasant reading, but I think
it would be acceptable. Ed Nizalowski, SMSNewark Valley High School
I posted this request last year.  Some of the answers I got (and a few I've added)
The Broken Blade by William Durbin
Mable Riley:  A Reliable Record of Humdrum, Peril and Romance by Marthe Jocelyn
Hawk's Hill by Allan W. Eckert
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
North by Donna Jo Napoli
The Winter People by Joseph Bruchac
Star in the Storm by Joan Hiatt Harlow
My Name is Seepeetza by Shirley Sterling

and there's always
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London-- not a Canadian author, but set in
Canada

Good luck!
Susie Highley

Sorry this is late, but if it hasn't already been suggested, you mightconsider any
books by Eric Wilson, especially Murder on the Canadian,Vancouver Nightmare and
Terror in Winnipeg. There is also the Dear CanadaSeries which is historical
fiction, but is mostly aimed at girls. regards, Kevin SmithGoose Lake High
SchoolRoblin, Manitoba, CANADA