Hi everyone,

Yesterday after wrapping up a blogging workshop at UMass/Boston, I was
giving a demonstration of Mozilla Thunderbird as an RSS news reader.
Just as I was about to close my laptop, one of my news folders got a
hit: a new blog entry had been posted somewhere. To my surprise, I
discovered that the blog entry was the first student video blog posted
to Atlantic City Rough Cuts (http://www.acroughcuts.com), the elementary
school video blogging project organized by Art Wolinsky.

Last July I went to Atlantic City to teach local school teachers how to
video blog, and helped Art set up the blog. The teachers posted several
short videos to the blog, but there weren't any videos produced by the
students. Until yesterday, at least:

http://www.starw.org/acrc/2005/11/witches-aliens-and-school-board.html

The video, entitled "Witches, Aliens, and School Board Members" (there's
gotta be a joke in there somewhere), does the impossible: it makes a
school board conference *funny*. A group of students went to a recent
New Jersey school board association conference, where they got to shoot
some video and interview board members. They went back to school and
made comic strips about the meeting, which they gave to the board
members. Now, several groups of students are making documentary shorts
about the experience. They're basically using the same script, but the
editing decisions will be their own. The first of these videos is
available on the blog, and the others will soon follow.

The students are really eager to get feedback from the public; I'd urge
all of you to check it out and post comments on the blog. The teachers
will collect the comments and use them to help the students improve the
quality of their work.

I'm really excited about the video; it may indeed be the first video
blog ever produced by elementary school students in a classroom
environment. (Can anyone think of any others? If so, we should connect
the schools.) I can't wait to see what else they'll come up with over
the course of the year.... -andy

--
Andy Carvin