Hi everyone,

We've recently learned that the primary funding for the activities of
the Center for Media & Community will not be continued, including
support for the Digital Divide Network. The Center is therefore in the
process of closing its doors, and Andrea Taylor and I are preparing to
leave EDC at the end of November, following our involvement in the World
Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) in Tunis.

Fortunately, this transition will not mean the end of DDN. Over the last
several weeks we've worked out arrangements for DDN to move its
operations to TakingITGlobal.org (TIG). As many of you know, TIG is an
online community of nearly 100,000 young activists in more than 200
countries. They've played a major role in getting young people engaged
in bridging the digital divide and other aspects of global development.
I'll say more about the arrangement when we make an official
announcement in Tunis next week.

As for me, I'm just beginning to sort out my options. While I still hope
to volunteer with DDN - several people have joked about calling me
"editor emeritus," which is kinda funny at my age - I'll have to start
searching for a new day job. Susanne has expressed interest in moving
back to DC or the Chicago area, either of which would be great, but
we'll probably search more broadly as well. Having spent the last few
years on the fundraising side of things, I may explore going back to the
grantmaking side of the business (I started off as a program officer at
the Corp for Public Broadcasting creating Internet-related grant
programs back in the day.) Or I may want to focus a bit more on
participatory media and citizen journalism - who knows. And I certainly
don't want to end my involvement in digital divide work. So if any of
you know of anyone looking for a digital divide pundit who spends a lot
of time blogging, podcasting and vlogging, please do let me know. :-)

It's been an amazing six years with DDN - four years at Benton, two at
EDC. So this is quite a bittersweet moment for me. At least I know,
though, that DDN has reached the size and maturity to succeed well after
I'm gone; and with TakingITGlobal taking it over, I know it'll be in the
best of hands. Thanks to everyone who's made my involvement with DDN a
pleasure all these years - I really appreciate it.... -andy

--
Andy Carvin