Clearly I am right out-of-step with The American Way but this works for our
students ...

We have only two classifications - Picture and Fiction.  We only have those
sections because of the
differing size of the books, it easier to keep the shelves looking a little bit
civilised and not
overwhelming.  Books are shelved in alphabetical order by author with picture books
at one end of
the shelf and novels at the other.  There is no distinction that might humiliate a
child, such as a
reluctant reader in Yr 6 having to go to the "Easy" section. It also acknowledges
that many picture
books are for older students.

There are no restrictions on what and where a child may borrow from, except for a
couple of hundred
books that I have as Senior Fiction because their storylines are getting into the
realm of YA and I
need to cater for those more mature Grade 6 students.  Even my kindergarten
students are encouraged
to check out "a fat book, a thin book and an information book" which they do with
great aplomb and
confidence now.  I read a quote in someone's post the other day that said "Children
are made into
readers on the laps of their parents" so it doesn't matter if the child can't read
the book, because
hopefully the parent will.  We have a school culture that values reading and there
is nothing more
persistent than a nagging child.  It also gets the child into the habit of
borrowing so when they
are an independent reader, the habit is instilled and they will be more selective
in their choices.
I am not the reading police - no one is - so if a child chooses not to read despite
whatever we may
do to encourage them, we cannot force.  NO ONE will ever get me to eat broccoli no
matter what
magical powers it has.

We call those in-between books "Stepping Stones" and I identify them with a
coloured spot on the
front cover and talk to my Yr 2-3 kids about how these books are designed to help
them move from the
school reader to novels.  Most are shelved with the novels but some, like the
Hotshots and Aussie
Bites series, have a tub of their own. I have written before about how I have my
popular series in
tubs in a special section and this has increased the reading of novels dramatically.

It is my experience that children do not use the OPAC when looking for fiction, so
use labels,
labels, labels.  They can find everything independently very easily. I put as many
books as I can
with their covers outwards and often I will pull suitable books from the shelves
and scatter them on
tables before a class comes in so those who grab the first they see have some more
options.

Like I said, it works for us even tough it may offend some of you.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School