     I have been requested by the library team leader of my former district to ask
some questions of users of Accelerated Reader.   AR has been in use for about 4
years now, funded with grants obtained by the former curriculum coordinator. That
money ended in the third year of the program. The librarians were happy with the
money to purchase books, which revitalized the collections, but have never been
pleased with the goals of the program. In each school there is a different level of
use and many different approaches to its use, so continuing the program is up in
the air at this point.  The librarians don't want to use their budgets to buy
tests, but if a newly purchased book,no matter how good, doesn't have a test, the
students will often not read it.  In some schools they have a certain number of
books to be read and tested on, so non AR titles are often not an option.

    Here are the questions:
      1.  What grade levels does your school encompass and in what grade levels is
the programs used?
      2.  Do the teachers use and like the program? Is its use optional or required?
      3.  Have heavily do the teachers rely on the points attached to the titles?
      4.  Do the teachers set goals for students based on marking periods or other
timelines?
      5.  What rewards or other incentives are used by the teachers to reward goal
attainment?
      6.  Is extra money allotted for purchase of tests? Is the librarian
responsible for their purchase?

      Please reply to me off list.  Thank you for taking the time to help at this
busy time of the year.

         Eleanor Jordan, Librarian K-4
         Retired June 2005-South Plainfield, NJ
         At home-East Hanover, NJ 07936