Most of the response I received agreed that it is at least unethical to
release information about book check outs and some stated that it was
illegal.  I didn't include all the attachments and emails I received
because y'all really came through with a lot of information.  Both the
Patriot Act and FERPA were mentioned as was ALA's stance of ethical
practices.

I intend to follow up with a lawyer if possible, just because I am
curious.  For the record, I am not able to print a list of books that
have been checked out by the student.  My system (Accent) doesn't have
that option.

However, I think that if a student came in asking for books about bombs
or terroristic materials that I would remember that.  I am also
wondering about the legality of that.   Could we be called on to testify
if such a thing were to happen?

 I know that I sound paranoid, but I am far from it.   We have had a
rash of bomb threats in the last 2 years at our school and others.  This
brought up the question as to whether or not students could actually
create a bomb.  My opinion is that they would use the Internet for that
kind of thing and probably, like me, most of you do not have books
describing the building of a bomb.  One of the teachers that was
participating in the discussion mentioned that after the Columbine
tragedy, the media discussed what books the students had read or the
lack of information about that.  (She was not clear on whether or not it
was released)

In closing, I would hope that none of us ever need to use this
information, but if called upon I personally plan to make no move on the
issue until talking to Central Office and school lawyers.

Jennifer Garcia, Librarian
Uvalde Junior High School
P.O. Box 1909
Uvalde, TX 78802