First step should be in your district reconsideration policy. Usually it
would be to contact parent or person with concern. Mostly to listen to
their concerns and to explain some of the precepts of librarianship.
Like 'every reader a book, and every book a reader' and what tools you
can provide the parent in helping student make choices. Maybe some
reading lists, or offer additional help/advisory to student.

Most reconsideration policies include a form that parent needs to fill
out to start the official process. Usually, until the process is
complete, the books stays available for checkout by patrons.
Personally, I will go buy a replacement copy if the parent hangs on to
book before filing reconsideration.

And we don't have to like the book, or agree with the book, to include
it in a collection or to defend its inclusion in the collection.

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net