Another interesting note about Google Maps and the satellite images.....

I tried another point to "dig"---a small town in Oklahoma where I grew up and where
my parents now live--- the town is surrounded by an active military base.  While I
was able to zoom down almost to my backyard using Google satellite images here in
Texas, I was limited to the depth of my "zoom" when it came to browsing the
military-base city.  In fact, I could only see the basic outline of the rivers,
trees, and some major highways, but NOT the housetops like where I live.....

....hmmmm....I know that this was once a World War II military prison camp that
basically destroyed a once "booming town" because the government took possession of
all of the farm land around the town which involves hundreds of acres in Muskogee
County---and that it was re-activated in the mid 1980's and has always been an
active area with planes landing on a private airstrip, military training (gun fire
going off all around, including tank fire and explosions), and all kinds of things
being convoyed or flown in during the wee hours of the night.  But to actually be
restricted from seeing the satellite images of the camp was
interesting....especially since I was able to pan about 100 miles east or west and
see rooftops again!!

Just an observation....fun stuff!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco@fwcds.org

>>> Mary Ludwick <ludwick@SWBELL.NET> 10/09/05 9:36 PM >>>
Remember how people would say, "Are you digging to China?" if you were
digging a deep hole?
This site shows where you would come out, if you dug through the earth from
a particular  location.
http://grad.icmc.usp.br/~cipriani/bighole.php?lang=en

Mary Ludwick, Librarian         K-5 Elementary
Owen Elementary, The Colony, Texas (near Dallas)
ludwickm@lisd.net  (school address)
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)