Re TARGET: Technology for Preschoolers

To all who responded: Thanks for your input. Here are a few of the answers I
received.

My opinion on the laptops is that they would NOT get much use
compared to desktop computers.  We had 30 of them on 2 carts and they hardly
got any use at all.  Teachers found them to
be too much of a hassle. You can't let students get them out themselves - or
put them back themselves - the charge connections are delicate.  Also, there
were often problems getting them to connect to airport and the charges did
not last long.  99% of the time when teachers wanted to do something on the
computers with their whole classes, they would wait until I had an open time
in library to bring the kids in while the laptop carts sat idle.

....preschoolers do not need computers in their classrooms.
Having taught kindergarten, I did use computers and saw how quickly
the students picked up the skills needed to use the equipment. My
preschool background knows the importance of learning social skills,
developing gross and fine motor skills, speaking skills, and being
exposed to stories, songs and poems to encourage pre-reading skills.
There is no need to learn how to use the computer as those skills
will develop as needed. I also fear that the computer will be used as
a "baby sitter." Playing and pretending should be encouraged from the
students not on a computer.

I don't think they need any computer time at all.  I have a 5 and 6 year
old at home and I try to keep them away from the computer as much as
possible.  They just don't need those skills yet and they will pick them
up very quickly when they need them.  Basic literacy, social skills,
organization, and free play time are much more important.  I am floored
by how little recess time my son gets in kindergarten, as little as 15
minutes per day.

Thank you again for responding.

Nancy Anderson
Moton Early Childhood Center