Thank you very much to all the Canadian librarians
that responded to my request of possible historical
fiction/biography titles for my 6th gr. teacher to use
when studying Canada.  She is thrilled.
Below were the suggestions made:

A few years ago I bought a few titles by Pierre Berton
 on the Klondike
Gold Rush  The series is "Adventures on Canadian
History."  The
publisher  : McClelland & Stewart 481 University
Avenue Toronto Ontario M5G 2E9.

Some excellent books about Canadian history that you
might consider:

The Our Canadian Girl series:  for younger students,
but might work well with your lower level readers.
There are a number of books in the series about this
time period and westward expansion
(http://www.ourcanadiangirl.ca/)

Dear Canada series:  much like the American
counterpart (http://www.scholastic.ca/dearcanada/)

Willa's New World by Barbara Demers: An adventure
story set in Canada around 1800 in which 15-year-old
Willa is sent to a trading post on Hudson's Bay.

Paul Yee has written a number of excellent books about
Chinese immigration and the building of the Canadian
railroad in the 19th century

The King's Daughter by Suzanne Martel is about "filles
de roi", young women brought from Europe to marry fur
traders in the 18th century

A Dog Came Too by A. Manson:  a picture book about the
dog that traveled with the explorer Alexander McKenzie

Shadow in Hathorn Bay by Janet Lunn:  about settlement
in Upper Canada (now Ontario) in the early 1800s

A Pioneer Story:  The Daily Life of a Canadian Family
in 1840 by Barbara Greenwood

The Wind Wagon by Celia Barker Lottridge
Ticket to Curlew by Celia Barker Lottridge
Wings to Fly by Celia Barker Lottridge

Sweetgrass by Jan Hudson

The Hand of Robin Squires by Joan Clark

Check out Scholastic's "Dear Canada" series.
"Camels Always Do" by ? Manuel is a newer picture book

http://www.nucleus.com/~nicola/canhis.html has a
"Canadian History Reading List"
http://www.canlitforkids.com/index.html lists new
Canadian titles

The following two series might be of interest -
although they both really are written to appeal to
girls, especially if it is a read-aloud,I have found
that the Our Canadian Girl series is in fact quite
boy-friendly.  They're not exactly what you're looking
for (they aren't actually based on historical persons,
but are historical fiction), but they might be a good
start for you.
http://www.ourcanadiangirl.ca/

http://www.scholastic.ca/dearcanada/books/

Try