A huge THANK YOU to Andrea, Angela, Anthony,
Barbara, Brenda, Betty, Brandon, Cyndi, Darlene,
Dinah, Elisha, Gail, Jane, Jean, Jill, Joanne, Lindy,
Lizabeth, Mary, Nedra, Robert, Shannon, and Susie
for your responses (please forgive me if I omitted
your name).

My query was regarding fantasy and mystery
authors for my eager readers (with a wide range of
reading levels). To recap, here is the list of writers
of fantasy and mystery that I have in my library,
some of which were also suggested:
R. Adams
L. Alexander
A. Atwater-Rhodes
M. Zimmer Bradley
L. Carroll
A. Christie
S. Cooper
L. Duncan
N. Gaiman
B. Jacques
M. L'Engle
U. Le Guin
C.S. Lewis
R. McKinley
G. Nix
C. Paolini
T. Pierce
P. Pullman
J.K. Rowling
J.R.R. Tolkien
W. Van Draanen

Here are the additional suggestions I received (the
# in parens means the authors were suggested by
additional librarians):
Joan Aiken
Isabel Allende's "City of Beasts" and its
sequel "Kingdom of the Golden Dragon"
Piers Anthony's "Xanth" and "Incarnations of
Immortality" series (3)
Margaret Atwood
Avi
L. Frank Baum
Clive Barker
T.A. Barron's "Lost Years of Merlin" series,
and "Ancient
One" and "Heartlight"
Hilari Bell
Terry Brooks's "Shannara" series (3)
Eoin Colfer (1)
Roald Dahl
Bryan Davis
Sara Douglas
Diane Duane's "So You Want to Be a Wizard"
Jeanne DuPrau's "City of Ember"
David Eddings (5)
Raymond Fiest
Dennis Foon's "Dirt Eaters"
Terry Goodkind (4) - note: some sex and violence
Margaret Haddix's "Shadow Children" series (1)
Lynn Hall
Daniel Hayes
Terry Hickman's "Legends" series
Monica Hughes's "The Sandwriter"
Diana Wynne Jones (3)
Robert Jordan's "Wheels of Time" series (6)
Elizabeth Kerner's "Song in Silence"
Mercedes Lackey (3)
Kathryn Lasky's "Guardians of Ga'Hoole" series
Stephen Lawhead
Gail Levine
J.D. MacHale's "Pendragon" series (2)
Anne McCaffrey's "Pern" series (5)
Janet McNaughton's "Summoer of the Magic
Quartet"
O.R. Melling
Joan Lowery Nixon
Donita Paul
Meredith Pierce
Terry Pratchett (2)
Willo Roberts
Emily Rhodda's "Dragons of Deltora" series (good
for 6th graders)
R.A. Salvatore (1)
Darren Shan's "Cirque du Freak" series
Jonathan Stroud's "Bartimaeus" trilogy
Rebecca Tingle's "Edge on the Sword"
Megan Turner's "The Thief" and "The Queen of
Attolia"
Philip Reeve's "Hungry City" trilogy
Vivian Vande Valde (1)
Gertrude Warner
Lawrence Watt-Evans
Margaret Weis's "Dragonlance" series (3) good for
6th graders
Scott Westerfeld's "Midnighters" series
Betty Ren Wright
Lawrence Yep
Jane Yolen (1)

I also checked online and found this website for
mysteries:
http://www.mysterynet.com/edgars/2004/
Scroll down on the right sidebar to "Best Young
Adult Mystery Edgars".

Colette Lageoles
NYC Lab School
NYC Museum School