Dear LM_NETters:

My husband and kids tell me I'm burned out and maybe that's true.

I do know I am frustrated with the transformation of my library from a
learning center into a warehouse.
Here's my reasoning:

1. I think our teachers restrict the students to death.
Books have to be a certain reading level. Books have to be 200 pages long.
Books have to be AR. Books have to have a certain number of points. (Or a
combination of these). No thought to slow readers or the boys who have
already read the five books we have with a King Arthur theme.

2. I have given workshops on evaluating websites and the value of using
databases. I have composed guides to researching in the library. I have
constructed rubrics for research days in the library.
I have taught two week units on using the Reader's Guide, print resources,
online databases, and evaluating the Internet to study skills classes. I
have made lists of new books pertinent to the curricular areas. I have
composed a huge annotated, with RL, list of read-worthy books. I have
purchased books for the state reading programs. I have gleaned pertinent
information from professional journals. I have informed teachers of new
online resources I have found. I have informed teachers about lesson plans
available by e-mail. I have administered STAR and AR. (Only two teachers out
of 25 use AR now.)
I have distributed Channel One guides. I have taped programs from Classroom
Connect. I have sent out book and magazine requests before I order for the
next year.

Here's what's happening--or not happening.

The teachers:

Send students to research--using the World Book, the Internet, and one stack
of library books. No guidelines on which sources to use, taking notes,
limiting pages printed or copied.
Send students to check in or out reading books(according to their
guidelines).
Occasionally check out videos.

Teachers Do Not:

Utilize information I have given them in their mailboxes or at workshops.
Come in and inquire about new resources.
Request library materials they might use next year
Ask how to use a online resource.
Plan teaching units with me.
Ask for suggestions.
Help with or attend special library events.
Read library books themselves.

By the end of the day yesterday I had given up on helping students find
books. I just told them to look for a thick one.

I give up or in.

Kay Goss
Director, Library Media Services
Mansfield Secondary Library