Thank you to everyone who sent me information.  More would still be welcomed if I
missed any major points!  Here is the original post:

"The librarians and aides in my district trying to convince administrators to
automate our elementary schools and update the middle and high school systems.
We've been told that they're interested, but they don't really see how it relates
directly to student achievement.  I'm hoping for some proof that I can share with
the administrators. Any links to articles, statistics, concrete facts that relate
automation and achievement would be helpful!  The archive has some ideas, but
nothing much since 2000.  Most of it is how it helps the librarian - not the kids."

1)  Find out who your representatives for automated systems are.  I know that
Follett can provide this documentation for their Destiny product.  My rep has
contacted me twice this year, I moved to a new district, and we have a good
relationship.  They will have exactly what you need.

2)  Before automating a collection is usually weeded and evaluated. That alone will
help save money but it will also show dead wood in the library. New materials are
more interesting and tend to circulate more.

3)  Just today, my lesson focused on the OPAC (Online Public Access Database) as a
search engine, the library catalog, and as a source of book information.  Carry
that further, with NCLB, students should be technology savvy.  Using an OPAC can
give practice in easy searches and Boolean logic searches.  Use the OPAC to help
teach reading in many genres, nonfiction and fiction.  We use the OPAC (Follett) to
connect students directly to the Internet.  I presearch web sites or teachers give
me suggestions, and I load them in as records so students type in the keyword, find
the record, and click on the Electronic Access point.  Perfect.  And if students
learn to use your OPAC, then they can go to any library in the country and adjust
to a different system that is online, including LOC.  Just transfer of information.
 And lastly, when students transfer to our school from schools without OPACs, they
struggle to use our library.  It doesn't take a long time, but they haven't a clue
until they've had multiple lessons in strategies of using OPACs.

4) I found a nice article that highlights the major library/standardized test
statistics at
http://www.crbsls.org/slsa/student-achievement.html

5)  Below is the ultimate list (I think the one I'm going to give to my
administrators)
An automated library system will:

allow students to immediately view multiple copies of materials available by
subject or keyword --rather than having to look through each item listed by those
terms in a paper card catalog

provide immediate information about the availability of the item (date due) and the
likelihood of placing a hold on the item when it is returned

will provide students with the ability to look up their own "check-outs" to see
what items have been checked out  / returned--to provide for timely returns for the
use by other students

free the librarian or aide from clerical duties so that they may assist students
and teachers, collaborate, do reader's advisory, and work with students

privide students with computer and information literacy skills * the ability to
find, select, use, and communicate information

provide immediate information on large quantities of materials by specific MARC
fields

allow for students to not only locate books and multimedia formats within the
library but will also provide them with hyperlinked subjects of websites on the
Internet (which you have selected and placed in the subject / additional
information record) for additional research if available

provide students with direct links using search terms to online databases that
contain journals / additional information on subjects being researched

generates statistics to allow for better use of library funds (focus on sections
that are outdated or missing)

allow for all users (including special needs students) to have success in locating
materials online (large screens help visually impaired; keyword searches help
elementary students; graphics / pictures help non-readers)

provide students with the opportunity to practice "real-life" library skills within
their own school library and duplicate those skills in public libraries, college
libraries, university libraries, and special libraries that are also online

provide students with the skills necessary for Internet searching--the use of
keywords, subjects, Boolean searching---are skills that can be used in other online
formats such as the Internet or online databases

automated libraries provide students and parents with the opportunity to check
(from off-campus through your library's website) to see what materials are
available and to make determinations about where to locate additional information
or make requests if materials are not there---daily living skills; decision making
skills; life-skills

automated libraries provide students with the opportunity to locate materials that
may not be found through their paper catalog searching OR by browsing the shelves;
the use of keywords or subjects will provide students with hundreds of titles
immediately to review and determine usefulness---and find materials that might not
otherwise be found (such as reference books, videos, realia, kits, or materials on
reserve that are not easily located without direct online information)

provide students with immediate access to the latest materials added---rather than
filing cards once or twice a week, a new title's MARC record can be downloaded
immediately for review or access rather than waiting for library assistance /
clerical assistance

provides students the ability to see and learn synonyms and antonyms for words and
shows that certain concepts are related

increases circulation * students enjoy using the computers and will often find
books that they would not find using the old card catalog or browsing the shelf
(subject and keyword searches)

allows for quicker, more successful discovery of library materials leaving students
more time to evaluate, process, and use the information found

provides students with a  "real life" opportunity to use critical thinking skills
in formulating search questions, narrowing the search, finding information, and
synthesizing the information into a unique product

provides students with immediate access to the latest terminology used through the
librarian's ability to immediately change outdated subject headings or keywords to
reflect new ones.  (EXAMPLE:  Native Americans or Indians of North America?)

provides all students with the opportunity to use a library that is "on an even
playing field" as those libraries in other cities, states, and around the
world---most libraries are automated and provide students, parents, and
administrators with not only their holdings but also through a union catalog, the
holdings of nearby libraries (public schools, public libraries, etc.)

will reflect the terminology used on most standardized tests that require correct
answers from students who have access to online card catalogs / automated
libraries. (For example:  Questions about Boolean searching.....)

allows students access to all of the library materials in the district through the
union catalog (interlibrary loan) * thousands more titles will be available to
students, and those titles that are not used often may not need to be purchased for
each building

I hope this helps!

Kristy Sandel, librarian
Mason High School