Thank you for the responses.  The students voted and decided on The BFG.  Here are
the responses I received for read aloud chapter books to promote visualization.

One of my teachers was just telling me that  she uses Lois Lowry's "All
About Sam" for visualization with her children.  She teaches second grade
and reads the book aloud to them, but if your fourth grade teacher wants the
children to read the book on their own, it would be at about a fourth grade
reading level.

Kathy Marceski

Maybe Ida B. and her plans to maximize the world... would be good.  It has
great imagery and lots of metaphors.

I use The BFG by Roald Dahl, Matilda by the same author and Tolkien's description
of The Hobbit.
Students draw what they hear and then compare their drawings - great opportunity to
demonstrate and
discuss how our personal experiences shape our perceptions.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Well, I read it over the summer, but how about The End of the
Beginning by Avi.  You really have to picture these two small
creatures traveling inches a day down a tree branch.  I'm not sure if
this will work, but what popped into my head!
Barb Parfitt
The Best School Year Ever and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever are both good
read-alouds with lots of visuals.

Betty Winslow,
Midwife's Apprentice - the opening scene in the dung heap is very multisensory :-)

And anything historical or with a strong sense of place is good for this, though I
like to include, say, a brief video clip if it's not something in the students'
current mental library of visual images.

Susan Jones
Thanks again!

Danna DeMars, LMS
Garrett Elem