I am one who got out of the AV business and am very happy about it.

It got to the point where every teacher had an overhead, filmstrip
projector etc. It just didn't make sense to me that they should all be
checked out through me but that supply had them all hand receipted to me. I
said that if the item was part of an everyday classroom setup, then supply
should take care of them just as they do desks, chairs and typewriters. Now
the supply person does hand receipts with all kinds of equipment, including
AV stuff. However, I still get involved because the bulbs blow out and
supply is not open all day, but I am. I also have a part time assistant who
has experience with AV equipment.

There are a few pieces of equipment that I do take care of, those items
that are in short supply, LCD projectors and digital cameras mostly.

BUT, I will vent - Some teachers feel that they can interrupt me with an
"emergency"  when I am making a presentation, or in a meeting, or talking
to another teacher, in a collaborative session. Often these emergencies are
due to not testing the equipment before class. Wish I knew an answer but
all I can do at these times is ask them to wait.

My most memorable occasion - since we are in Europe we have 220
electrictiy. We have some items that are 110V and need a transformer. I had
loaned out a tape recorder, 110 Volt written all over it in large white
letters,  with a 110 plug on the end. The teacher rooted out a 220 plug
adapter, plugged it in, then returned it saying that it didn't work and
smelled funny. I did keep my cool but just barely.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany
now proudly on the web at http://www.wies-hs.eu.dodea.edu