I really should have made it clear that I was from California... my
bad, as the kids say! <G> .  Here, Prop. 13  severely limited the
local taxing authority for school districts about 25 years ago.  The
bulk of a school district's funding comes from the state, somewhat
less from the Federal government programs.  Except for specific local
construction bond issues (construction, not textbooks, salaries,
supplies, etc.), a small and decreasing percentage comes from local
property taxes these days.  Our funding formulas are based on the
number of students in attendance at public schools within a district
each day, averaged over the month (the so called ADA, average daily
attendance).  One reason so many school districts have vigorously
attacked the truancy problem is that lower attendance costs them
money...significant amounts of money, because of reduced ADA.  If the
state is funding public schools, it makes sense (IMHO) that the
funding formula be based on the number of students attending those
schools, rather than on a total potential pool of attendees, some of
which do not attend.

Mark Williams
Consulting Librarian
Professional Services for Conferences, Districts, Workshops
markwilliams@makaw.net
"The closest thing you will find to an orderly universe is a good library"