Hello there!
I'm a freshly minted MLS in a PK-8 Catholic school.  I could see from day one how
collaboration would benefit us all.  Unfortunately, the culture of the school just
doesn't seem to encourage it.  We have had opportunities for collaboration pass us
by because some of us are only part time and can't seem to get together.  Some
teachers are quite independent and are using previously successful lesson plans
when collaboration would require more planning.  I have asked teachers to tell me
what Unit they will be on during x week when I am teaching a particular library
skill, so that I can have their students conduct more genuine research.  But they
don't seem to have the time to get back to me.

I believe they want to be involved with the library program at a higher level.  But
the time this requires seems to be more than any of us can bear.  I'm chipping
away, one teacher at a time, by asking questions, encouraging their small efforts,
and basically cultivating them as I do the students.  I have tried a more direct
approach by offering to help overwhelmed classroom teachers by taking half their
class so they can do remedial work with the other half.  Couldn't believe they
didn't take me up on it!

Many of them mention the tight schedule required by mandated testing.  And many of
them mention checking with the principal before deviating from the tight schedule.
In spirit he is supportive, but in reality he is quite conservative.

And that brings me to our final obstacle.  If I were there for a whole year and
could plan to be there another year, I could continue to make inroads into further
collaborative efforts.  But my contract is only for one semester...so I don't think
any of them want to grow used to my presence.

Susan Waring
LMS
OLS SEton Middle Campus
Endicott, NY