I thought you might be interested in this idea to help the Katrina Survivors
in the short-term
-------Original Message-------

From: ELSHADDAIIM@aol.com

Date: 08/31/05 23:51:32

To: Common_Threads@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [Common_Threads] Books for the Katrina Survivors

Operation Soul  Survival: Books for Katrina Survivors

Starts with this email...make copies and pass it  on...email to
email...mouth

to mouth all across  America!

Operation Soul Survival: Books for the Katrina  Survivors

Like everyone else, my heart and prayers are going out to the survivors of

Katrina. Many of them are being moved to what can only be called refugee

camps. America and the world will see that they are fed and sheltered for a

while...perhaps for a long while. It may be weeks or months, if ever, before
  they

can return to their homes. During this time of waiting they will need

something to do.

I believe Father is leading me to start a grassroots movement to get

Inspirational Books and Magazines into the hands of the refugees. These do
not

necessarily have to be religious, just positive and uplifting.  We need to
help

these dear people hold on to some hope for a future. Books can be a  road
map

to a better life...the words we read is food for our  souls.

The way I feel led to do this huge task is to inform as many people  as

possible of the need, then provide a physical mailing address of the refugee

centers, so that interested people can slip a book or magazine into an
envelope

and mail it (U.S. Postage)  ('media mail' is ok) to the refugee camp. A

regular size book can be mailed for less than two dollars.

Please add this quote from Eleanor  Roosevelt,

  printed or copied, into each  book.

You gain strength, courage

and confidence by every

experience by which you really stop

to look fear in the face.

You are  able to say to yourself,

I lived through this horror, I can take

  the next thing that comes along.

You must do the thing  you cannot do.

                             Eleanor Roosevelt

  A personal note added to each book would be a  lovely touch.

ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE ENVELOPE:

Write in bold letters:

  Operation Soul Survival...Books for the Katrina  Survivors

At least 15,000 people are now on their way to the Houston Astrodome. This

is the only address I have so far. I will pass on others as they become

available.

ADDRESS:

Operation Soul Survival...Books for the  Katrina Survivors

Houston  Astrodome

8400 Kirby Drive

Houston, Texas 77054-1504

Please use wisdom in selecting books.No porn or sexually explicit material.

I  am sure childrens books will be greatly  appreciated. Inspiration and
Hope

are our key words.

Good used books are fine. New books are a special gift. I will be sending

copies of my book The Search for Peace: A Woman's Guide to Spiritual

Wholeness. I am sure other authors will also send their books...

The Bible teaches  As we do unto the  least of these...we do unto Him.

Everyone who can, should donate money to the Red Cross, Salvation  Army, or

any other valid charities, but after we care for their bodies, let  us feed

their souls.

Thanks to everyone for taking a few minutes of your time to make a

difference!

Books change lives...let's give these folks a chance!

BIG P. S. If anyone is led, has time, and  knows how to set up a quick

(free?) Web Page to post Refugee Camp Addresses  please feel free to do so.
All of

us can pass on  information.

Blessings,

Wanda Winters-Gutierrez