I really understand how you are feeling.  I have been in the business
for 30+ years.  I have kept up on everything that has come our way over
that time.  And let me tell you - that is a LOT of keeping up -
especially since the early 90's.  I am the first to learn new
technologies and search strategies and teach them to the students and
the teachers.  I never pull out a lesson and do the same old thing -
there are always improvements to make - new concepts to teach etc.  I
almost never check out a book - I am blessed with an assistant who is
available most of the time to do that.  I am friendly and humorous and
try to stay far away from the stereotypical librarian.  And yet - last
year my school picture did not show up with the rest of the faculty.
Instead, I showed up in a candid shot along with the secretaries and
classroom aides.  After I got over the knot in my stomach, I emailed the
teacher in charge of the yearbook and shared the reasons why I AM A
TEACHER.

Here is the bright side of the situation.  At least the student knew
enough to interview you!  That is really encouraging news.  I find that
convincing the kids that I am a teacher can be even more of an uphill
battle.

What are we doing wrong folks?  How can we get our message across?  I
just can't understand why people still view us according to the tired
old stereotype.  Even our tax accountant is victim of the old ideas.   I
never could convince him that I should be able to deduct for teacher
union dues or professional association dues.  His response was always -
"only teachers can deduct for those - you are a librarian.  The
government is sure to audit your taxes if I let you do that."  I finally
gave up.  Actually I haven't gone to our tax appointment in years - my
husband does it.  This year, Bob got fed up and harangued our accountant
about my certification requirements, my degrees, the number of classes I
teach every day etc. etc.  And for the first time since I received my
permanent certification in 1971 - he agreed that we could deduct for the
teacher union dues I pay every year and the professional materials I
purchase for my personal professional library!

I suppose I need to take heart.  At least I haven't heard anything as
bad as what happened to me my first year or so as a librarian.  I had a
student assistant of extremely low ability.  I had to create jobs for
her to do - because she just could not handle any real library  jobs.
The night of open house - her mother came rushing in - beaming.  "OH,
Mrs. Henry.  I am SO glad that "Missy" is a library aide this year.  She
just loves it.  You know - she's not very bright.  So I figure when she
grows up, maybe she can be a librarian!"

Nothing can top that!

I think that the Canadians have the right idea.  At the risk of
starting up another endless "what should we be called" discussion - I
think we should call ourselves "Teacher-Librarians".  I have always been
so proud to call myself a LIBRARIAN.  But - people are just NOT getting
the message.

Anyway - most days I let it all roll off my back and just keep on
keeping on.  Alas, I am 58 years old now and by virtue of being a
"mature" female - I fit the stereotype even more.  I have a picture on
my desk that an art teacher drew for me a few years ago.  I tell
everyone - "this is what I feel like inside."  It is a picture of a
young, shapely blonde in a Super Hero costume, clutching a book in one
hand and a keyboard in the other.  Onward and upward.  We are who we are
inside.  Let's let our inner Super Hero out and ignore those around us
who can't seem to see what we really do every day.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS