Replies, cont.:

I am absolutely devastated to see this.  Doug Johnson reads this
listserv - so I felt comfortable forwarding your message to him in case
he missed it.  He is blogging right now on a related topic.  I have
posted an encouraging comment - but I was not sooner done posting an
upbeat comment - when I read your email.  I am speechless!

Here is the link to Doug's post:

http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/3/27/career-guidance.html

-----------------------------

I don't know how helpful this is to you, but here in Ohio, the state is
partially funding (based upon need) some new schools.  Our school district is
building 6 new schools (with the state funding around 73%), including elementaries,
a middle, and a high school.  The state is requiring libraries in each building
with some pretty strict standards in order to use state money. In fact, my library
will be larger than my current space.  This is part of the State Facilities
Commission.  It would seem that your state might have some type of standards, as
well.  Even if your school is not using state money, it would seem logical that you
would want to meet or exceed any state guidelines for library facilities.

------------------------------

My daughter recently graduated Simmons College's library program.  The head of her
department was discussing the challenges we face and talked about his own
experience in fighting for money for print resources for the college library.  When
asked to justify the books he wanted against the board's reasoning that kids "only
use the internet" he gave an example of how several freshman had done a paper on
Martin Luther King, Jr. and had cited a website as a source of information - the
professor discovered the website was set up by the KKK and the kids didn't have a
clue.  The professor pointed out that if the kids had backed up their info with
print resources, that have been read by editors, librarians, publishers, etc. it
wouldn't have happened and AGAIN pointed out that there is no librarian of the info
on the internet and the board said "How much do you want?"!
Good luck - architects are completely clueless - they tried to convince my board of
ed that
8 ft shelving and study carels were what I needed in my K-6 elementary school
library.  (Hey it looked so nice on paper)!

-------------------------------

I remembered checking into this particular topic a few weeks ago. Here is a site
that was posted on LM_Net while back. After checking out the site I was rather
suspicious. After all who would benefit most if all schools went to this sort of
arrangement. You got it! Microsoft. They have "teamed up" with other "visionaries"
in Philadelphia. I find the arrangement VERY suspect. Seems to come back to how
credible these "authorities" really are. I think the people pushing this type of
arrangement have a very shallow vision of exactly what libraries contribute to
their schools. They are more than just a warehouse of information and books. But
then YOU know that! Get your parents behind this. I don't think most parents would
approve of their schools doing without libraries.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/demos/schooloffuture/index.html

-----------------------------

My district was going to renovate my library, but realized we couldn't build out or
up enough to make it adequate. So, they've decided to build a new Career and
Technology building with the CATE classes on the second floor... and the new
Library taking the entire 1st floor.

Show them your circulation statistics! Our school is going all out to encourage
reading for pleasure, with SSR every Friday, our BYOB (Bring Your Own Book)
program, etc. etc. and my circulation statistics show it.

Reading will never go out of style.

Reading isn't as easy on a screen... for anybody, not just  for "older generations".

Oh, dear... I should just stop, but a school without a library is just crazy!

-------------------------

Of possible use:

Are Libraries (and Librarians) Heading Toward Extinction? Teacher-Librarian,
Dec 2003

<http://www.doug-johnson.com/dougwri/extinct.html>

Some strategies for libraries remaining relevant.

Good luck. Your message worries, but does not surprise me. We as a profession need
to do more to strategize about how we will meet these sorts of challenges, which
will only increase IMHO.

--------------------

I think I would hold up the open school concept as an example.  That's
clearly another case in which schools were built because architects and
administrators were convinced that schools without walls between classrooms were
the wave of the future, and that their district would be the surfboard riding the
top of that wave.   Ten years later (or less) districts were spending millions to
erect walls and trying to make an unworkable concept make sense.

As an old person, I also remember instructional television sages who swore it would
replace teachers (1 teacher with 500 students, yes, it's happening now...Look,
Look) and CAI drill and practice....also replacing teachers.  It didn't happen
then, and it won't happen now.   My answer to the architects is "Show me one".
Parents are skeptical because they hear this argument all the time.  "MOM!!!  I am
the ONLY one without these shoes".

Build a school without a library now, and in 2 years there will be a bond issue to
add a library.  I also am concerned about those students without computers at home.
 Is the district willing to leave behind all students without the funds to buy
technology?

 Strongest indication of SAT or ACT verbal score is the amount of voluntary
reading.  Taking away the source of books won't help.   Last bit of advice:  Take
the job description for a school librarian, and cross off the things that won't
happen without a library.  Ask if the parents are willing tofund a school that
eliminates most of the life skills needed for success in college and life.

----------------

I feel impelled to contribute my 2 cents on this issue, and anyone is
free to rake me over the coals if you think you can change my mind.  I
welcome a sane answer to my exasperation.  :-\

I'm not quite ready to say that a school doesn't need any library at
all, but I honestly don't think a high-tech high school needs to build
the kind of library that has been the norm for the past 50 years.

This is my 6th year in a middle school that is in its 8th year, and we
have about 220 student computers for just under 650 kids--and I do as
much research teaching in the classroom computer spines as I do the
library.  Yet, I am prevented from purchasing online database services
beyond those provided by the district because I haven't quite reached
the state-required books/student ratio for my relatively new library.

My district does provide valuable online resources for each grade level
(elem, ms, hs) but each of our 6 middle schools has huge differences in
facilities and populations.  For example, my school has more computers
than at least two schools that have twice as many kids.  Their libraries use lots
of print reference sources.  I haven't had most of my 7 print encyclopedia sets off
the shelves in 3 or 4 years, but my students are limited to the single online
encyclopedia provided by the district (even though my staff and students
overwhelmingly preferred the additional ones I provided before they decided I
couldn't purchase them anymore).

I've heard the "what will they do when they get to HS/college?"
argument, but somehow that doesn't wash for me either--our new feeder HS has as
high a computer/student ratio as we do.  Our local colleges and universities are
all online-resource rich, so students will really need to be more proficient at
choosing and using a larger variety of online database services than print
resources.  And the academic world is increasingly moving toward power-search tools
that search both print and online databases at the same time, to provide students
with exactly what is needed, regardless of format.  Yes there will be a need to use
some print resources, but the huge number of online database services make most
undergraduate research easily completed with those alone.  In fact, I was able to
do much of my graduate work with them.

One complaint I hear from our high schools is that students do little
leisure reading because they are so overwhelmed with work.  It seems
probable that the fiction section of a high-tech HS library can be very
small compared to the resources needed for research.  It might even be
preferable to consider mostly paperbacks for the fiction section to keep it as
current and inviting as possible (maybe even set up some kind of arrangement with
one of the large bookstore chains!).  As for the format that those research sources
need to be, curriculum needs and facility technology and student demographics are
the best determinant, not an arbitrary ratio that extends from old-school thinking.

I realize not everything is available online, but more and more
research-type resources are going online or to e-books (which, thank
goodness, I am allowed to purchase).  Why?  Simply because it's faster,
easier, and CHEAPER to update and provide online stuff.  (Isn't an
encyclopedia publisher ceasing its print version for online-only for
this reason?)  I'm all for faster, easier, and cheaper...and for moving
forward to embrace the future.  (You know, I don't remember ever seeing
a print reference resource on Star Trek.)

--------------------

My son's 2 yr college will not allow him to use strictly online resources for the
papers he's required to write. He has to use a mix of online and print. His college
library is not very well-stocked with print resources, though; they apparently
think he can find what he needs elsewhere. (So he goes to the 10 story BGSU library
in town instead...) They do expect him to know how to use the databases they offer.
I'm pretty sure no orientation was offered. At least, I know he didn't go to one. I
guess his elementary & secondary experiences prepared him sufficiently. (I'm glad,
since he went here for 9 yrs. <grin>)

----------------------

(You know, I don't remember ever seeing a print reference resource on Star Trek.)

Eehem. Trekfan here - one of Captain Kirk's greatest treasures was a copy of (I
think) Moby Dick, given to him by Dr. McCoy. And Dr. Picard was often shown reading
books; he loved poetry. Ancient manuscripts were the main plot device in a number
of episodes. One episode I just saw featured an alien settlement modeled after a
really badly-written novel from Earth. I know there are more - I could ask my
Trekfan husband!

And besides, I'm not sure Star Trek is the best role model for society at this
point. At least, until we can transport places, tap a brooch to talk to someone
miles away, and go to Tahiti on the holodeck!

-----------------

I think it's awful that they're considering not
including a library in their plans.

Being that you are in Texas, perhaps you should write
to Laura Bush and get her support?
(Although I don't think much of her, she might be
supportive?)

-----------------

Most of our LA teachers require at least one print source on big projects. I
sometimes enjoy it when the network is down and students are forced to use books.
I'm with you regarding the value of books. I do, however, buy lots of paperbacks
because the kids will always browse the paperbacks first. And, let's face it, their
backpacks are already heavier than they should be.

-----------------

I don't think schools in the future will have LMCs but have no idea of when the
future is.   Were I designing a school today I would hedge my bets, make certain
that each classroom was setup with whiteboards, lcd projectors and wireless.   If
here was money left after doing that, then add on a library.
To those that ask about supplying computers for every student, I would ask them to
project how long it will take before we can buy usable notebooks for $100?    Then
divide your salary by $100.

Two other thoughts,   five years ago we remodeled our LMC and put in a
computer lab.   The first year one particular teacher, a retired attorney, was in
with his classes ten times a week.    He is exceedingly knowledgeable about
computers, research and technology, very supportive of the library and also an
excellent teacher.   He hasn't come yet this year, but his classroom now contains
an lcd projector and he finds that his time is better spent in
the classroom.  His classroom management techniques are fine, its just that the
kids are more on task in the intimate and familiar setting of his classroom.    Did
I mention that he left law because he has a scholarly bent, get the kids reading
all sorts of stuff.

My other thought is about Questia an online database with individual
accounts for students that allows them to create separate projects or
folders for each assignment, make notes, underline, adjust the font, create
citations and a bibliography all while searching by lextile or reading level.   The
account stays with the student in college.    The teacher has access to the student
account and can monitor the entire research process, including when materials were
looked at.      Currently the database is 65 online texts and one million articles.
  How long before it contains, for all practical purposes, everything?

---------------------------

Several thoughts are hitting me revolving around this discussion - starting with
the link Paula posted last week about the Phil. school being planned without a
library. I did indeed notice this immediately and thought "here we go." Because I
think this is something that lurks in the backs of all of our minds, the fear that
we will be found irrelevant. I feel like we are always fighting to have our efforts
recognized and to get our resources used in a productive way. I am getting ready to
write my monthly report, something that I get tired of doing but feel that it's the
best way to have the admin. see what is actually going on in here and also to
remind myself what I have done during the month. Constant self-evaluation.

  In my district, I can see this lack of understanding of libraries and information
literacy happening at the lower grades. There are no librarians at our K-3 schools
- I work with the library assistants there with varying results because I am not an
administrator so I fall victim to the whims of the principals, and in reality the
library assistants can do/not do whatever they please as long as the principal is
happy. I try to be a proactive library advocate, but the reality is that my duties
are here at the high school and that is where I put most of my energy - but even
here, I feel like I'm losing the Google battle. One of our K-3 schools in
particular seems to be replacing information literacy with canned programs and
Internet sites. I was really impressed with 2 article links that were posted this
week,  http://archives.cjr.org/year/02/5/lenger.asp and
  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/opinion/26tenner.html?_r=1&oref=slogin and this
got me on a roll - I ended up sending links to these articles out to the district.
So far I have had no feedback from teachers.

  I also was struck with the comment that was made about less circulation in high
schools. I know this is true, yet I feel that circulation statistics don't always
reflect actual useage. More and more I pull carts of books. Everyone is in such a
hurry that in order to get students to use books and to try to develop an
appreciation for books as a resource, I have had to compromise and cut out the OPAC
component (of course there are still students who will use it). So sometimes I
check the books out to the teacher just to keep circulation statistics more
accurate. Students use the copy machine to copy pages of the book rather than sit
and take notes. And then some do actually check the book out - my small successes!
I get such a sense of satisfaction when I hear a student say "this book has just
what I'm looking for." I would think that having had a successful book experience
would carry over to the next assignment but that doesn't happen. How can it when
teachers loudly say "!
 kids don't use books anymore?" Then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that I
can't seem to dispel even though I quickly say "that isn't so, at the moment there
are 200 books checked out." We are a small school, only 600 students.

  I do think that the nature of the print collection has changed - in order to
"sell" using books (in a climate where teachers don't necessarily require it and
the research process is, at best, spotty) I feel that I have to weed, weed, weed
and buy books that are appealing and not hundreds of pages of small print. I try to
do this without compromising my standards for quality, but many times it means
choosing titles that fall under grades 5-8 category. Of course, these also are
excellent resources for our spec. ed. students and for poor readers. Also, I'm
thinking more in terms of nonfiction.

  It's difficult to teach that computers do not have to = Google. I "advertise" our
database subscriptions and have made them as easy as possible to access and login.
I have a Word document on everyone's desktops that provides each database, a short
explanation of what kinds of information can be found, and any necessary login
information. But without any support from teachers - who will, after I give a short
introduction to resources appropriate for an assignment - send their kids off with
the statement "ok, go login and start Googling."

  I remember those schools without walls. I was in one many years ago. They built
it without walls and within 2 years had built partial walls - that helped with
sight distractions, but the noise level was deafening.

  Rather than build schools without libraries, I feel that the library should be
the hub of the school. Make it more accessible with its physical placement and
accessibility. Enable "teachable moments."

  I feel that I'm rambling and I'm sorry about that - I was in hibernation mode
until the Phil. school situation followed by the 2 articles - and I thank LMNet for
all of the input and thought-provoking posts that have gone into getting me out of
the doldrums and back on the warpath. Until I get discouraged again.

-------------------------

My oldest daughter went to HS at a private school that had a gorgeous
library in the center of the K-6 wing, with each classroom opening off it. Noise
level in the library was often pretty high, but it made using the library almost an
organic part of the day. The MS/HS library was not nearly as nice and welcoming.
Odd, when you considered the amount of money flowing into the school!

----------------

Considering Gene Roddenberry was the author of the Star Trek series (and consultant
for the TV series), I think he had a vested interest in assuring the public
(reading and watching) that books would still be relevant, even in the future.

The question is:   "Will libraries still be relevant?"

Lindy Hutchison, Librarian
Sweeny HS Library
Sweeny, TX
lhutchison@mail.sweeny.isd.esc4.net

"Let us put our minds together and see what life we will make for our children."
                                         --Tatanka Iotanka  (Sitting Bull)