Well, is she the activist type?  By that I mean, if you get her to feel that she
can be part of a movement to end violence towards women and girls will it empower
her and make her feel better or it is it too soon for that?  You could give her the
script of Eve Ensler's "Vagina Monologues."  I also recommend the book Lucky by
Alice Sebold.  It is not about being beaten; it is about being raped.  But, many of
the things that Ms. Sebold experiences after her rape may be similar to what your
young woman is going through - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Plus, the fact that
Lucky is a memoir might give this woman some hope that she is not alone - this
really did happen to someone else.

I also think that pointing her towards some statistics would help.  For instance,
did you/ she know that one in every four women in America will experience violence
in her lifetime?  Your young woman is in way too much company!  The V-Day website,
www.vday.org, has a lot of great links and statistics on violence towards women and
girls.  It also provides information about ways that women can get help both during
and after their violence.

Good luck helping her!  A good book that will make her feel less alone in the world
and make her realize that her blaming herself etc. is a common after-effect of
violence might really help her to stay strong.

Lori Feldstein-Gardner
School Library Teacher
The Hewitt School
New York, NY