Hana's Suitcase is a Caudill nominated title for next year, and we are
building a unit around it, with many supplemental materials.  Our focus is
not just the Holocaust, but the impact of war all over the world.  To teach
this, some of the sources we are using include:
Faithful Elephants by Yukio Tsuchiya
Baseball Saved Us by Kin Mochizuki
The Journey that Saved Curious George by Louise Borden
The Little Ships: The Rescue at Dunkirk, by Louise Borden
Who Was the Woman Who Wore the Hat by nancy Patz
Keeping the Promise, A Torah's Journey by Tami lehman-Wilzig
Six Million Paper Clips: The making of A Children's Holocaust Memorial, by
Peter Schroeder
The Greatest Skating Race by Louise Borden

    Hope this is helpful,
                                            Linda L.
Linda Lucke
Learning Center Director
Butterfield School
Libertyville, IL
LLucke@d70.k12.il.us
"Teachers aren't paid to love children.  Loving children is what teachers do
for extra credit.  It's not the main assignment - but it's more important
than the main assignment.  Extra credit is done of your own free will.  Work
and love given of your own free will is always more joyous, better quality
stuff."  Sahara Special, by Esme Codell.