Hi all,

To those doing inventory with hand-held
scanners... I think there's a better way. When
we had a hand-held, it was a simple of device
that collected barcodes, which were dumped to
the database at intervals. When we actually used
the (expensive) hardware we'd ordered, we found
that it did NOT work with our Macintosh system,
and never had, and the mfr didn't even know!

So... we sent it back, and found a better solution.
We got a wireless Airport base station for the Mac,
and a laptop, and hooked the regular (desk) barcode
scanner to that. In other words, we made it so the
library database can go with us to the shelf, easily.

Upon reflection, I was glad we had to work out
this solution. There are enough barcode misreads,
found books, etc. that having them all stream by
as they are dumped from the hand-held scanner
would be far less useful. I find that I check a lot
more info about the book this way, because I
have the book right there when inventory finds
its database record.

If hand-held devices are no longer batch barcode
collectors, maybe they are now more worthwhile...
but they're probably still pricey. ;)

- Amy Goldsmith
Daves Avenue School
Los Gatos, CA 95030