Our school is going with Reading First in grades K-1 this year.  We are
meeting
next week to discuss dropping AR from grades K-1 because they are concerned
they will not have time to give quizzes.

I want to be prepared for the meeting, so I would like to know how your
school
handles AR in K-1 with Reading First.

Our background...
Currently, grades K-1 visit the LMC for their scheduled class weekly.
However,
they may visit for checking out books everyday if they need to.  For the
past 5
years, I've seen probably 1/2 or more of each class daily to check out new
books.  The kids take the books home and read with their parents.  Then
return
to school and teachers, aides, or volunteers give them quizzes daily. I've
had a
large circulation partly due to this group of students.  We have a special
KinderClub where the kids earn dog tags for points earned.  This has been
very
popular with kids and parents.  In grade 1, kids receive dog tags for
meeting
certification levels.

My concerns...
I fear that the "open" relationship between the K-1 students/parents will
suffer
greatly from dropping AR.  Our K-1 kids think the library is "the" place to
be.
It is their spot!  If kids aren't reading and taking quizzes, I fear they
will
only check out books on the days they visit and will keep them until the
next
week when they return them.  Not to mention the fact that visiting the
library
will be discouraged due to "time constraints" in the classroom.

Currently our kids read with parents, or parents read to their kids.  If
they
aren't checking out but one book or two a week, this is really going to
effect
parent/child reading time.  Some kids will be read to anyway, but most will
not.
 By participating in the AR program, kids and parents were motivated to read
together to achieve a goal...the dog tags.  We all know how important it is
for
kids to read to the children.  Sadly, this does not happen as often as it
should.  For me, this has been the plus of the AR program in K-1...getting
parents and kids reading together.

Of course this will really bring down our circulation.  To me that means
kids
with no books which is not a good thing.

I know that student achievement is the bottom line.  I fear this as another
step
toward the library being a room with no life and lots of books.  I know this
is
not good for student achievement.  I would really appreciate your help with
talking points for my meeting next with those who are wanting to make this
change.

Thanks for listening.

Stephanie Labert
sdlabert@mvtel.net