Thank you all for the information. I was asked to post the information, so
here it is.  Have a great weekend!
Thanks again.
Jan Davidson

Most of the TEA Language and Early Literacy Guidelines apply to the library.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/curriculum/early/prekguide.html#2

I think it has to do with the attention span of the litttlies.  I
Have my 4 year old Kinders for 20 min. And the Early Childhood class
For 15.  That seems to work well.

 I don't know what your state guidelines might be, but having done
pre-school storyhours for over 30 years in public libraries and special
needs pre-schools, I find about 30 minutes works out very well.  Even my 2
year toddlers and waddlers can hold together for most of 30 minutes, if you
break stories up with songs, fingerplays, and some movement.  By the time
they get to be 4 or 5 and going to school, 35-40 minutes is nice, but 30 is
still fine.  If you get  to 20 minutes or less, you feel rushed and parents
won't make the effort to bring the child for such a short time.
    These are just my feelings from experience.
Good luck, it is a wonderful age.

All my preK-K classes have been 30 minutes.  No they can not sit for a
Story that long.  Include book choosing and an activity, usually art.
Keep them busy.

I would imagine this varies from district to district-
I've always had my pre-KS for the same amount of time
As all other classes, a full forty minutes.

I don't know if there is a "set" time, but I do 20 minutes with at least
One other adult present (teacher or assistant or both).

If they are checking out books only, 15 minutes might be enough. Personally,
I would set out a selection of books for them to choose from, rather than
Having them choose from the stacks. We start teaching shelf-marker use in
Kindergarten. If they are listening to a story AND checking out, 20-25
Minutes might be more appropriate.

Well I schedule all of my K5 visits for 30 minutes.  I read them a story,
sometimes they help me tell the story and then they get to choose a book.
The rule on that one is we can peek at the cover but if you pull it off the
shelf you get to keep check it out.  What happen then is the books are kept
in the classroom and they share them.  Works pretty good.  I have tried
visits with K4 and K3 but it is too much of a routine break that they just
don't adjust very well.  So I go and visit them in the classrooms and take
books for them to have and I bring back what I had brought last time.  I
always have story for them.  Those visits last maybe 10 to 15 minutes.  But
I have never seen anything in writing.

I have my four year old kindergarten in the library for 30 min - it is a
Little long but works ok - as long as I have someone who can take them to
The bathroom.

FYI - I'm in the process of reviewing a new preschool book - looks very
Good - I've already included many of the ideas in my 4K plans for the next
School year - Storytime Slam 15 Lesson Plans for Preschool and Primary Story
Programs - by Rob Reid - published by Upstart - it uses a 30 minute format.
It combines picture books, finger plays, musical moments, action activities,
Etc.