Our school is finally changing to all-day kindergarten so I will have
kindergarten classes in the library twice a week (I used to only have them
once a week).  This will allow me to do more with them in regards to
technology and library skills.  I am responsible for teaching K-6 in the
computer lab as well as the library.  I am hesitant to take
kindergarteners into the computer lab at the beginning of the year as I
won't have much help when I have their classes.  My para only works
part-time and won't be there during the K classes.  The kindergarten
teachers each have a para who will stay with the class but their
technology knowledge/skills are pretty limited.  Many of our students do
not have computers at home so most come without any experience with
computers.  In the past, I usually took K students in the lab during 2nd
semester and, even then, struggled.  With a class of 22-26
kindergarteners, most of which have never used a computer, I am literally
pulling my hair out by the end of class.  My question is two-fold:  1) If
you are responsible for computer instruction for K students, when you do
you start with them?  Do you start at the beginning of the year?  2)
Regardless of when we start, I am looking for some fun/easy technology
lesson ideas to use with kindergarteners.  We have 30 networked eMacs
running OSX.  We also have Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Appleworks, Tux Paint,
Read Write Type, and Letterbugs Get Ready to Read installed on each
computer.

Thanks for any/all advice and suggestions you can give me!

Brenda Young, MLIS
Teacher-Librarian
Rose Hill Elementary
Omaha, NE