This was a terrific hit. It was great to see the variety of responses. I am in an
unusual situation as the children's librarian serving a graduate school and a lab
school as well as our alumni who are teachers.

Our teachers can take as many as 500 books each into their classrooms and keep them
as long as needed, the due date automatically June. I do recall a book if needed in
another class. We even lend sets of encyclopedias to classrooms.

We do not charge fines or for lost children's books for teachers or faculty.
I did threaten to have the math/science department charged for two sets  of a 6
volume physics series that the teacher swore were returned. They did show up by the
end of the day.

I would much rather a teacher take hundreds of books for the classroom and not
worry about them walking away.

I do get additional funding from the lab school to buy replacement copies of lost
books.

The most annoying situation are graduate faculty who keep books for years. Often
out-of-print picture books that they are afraid won't be available to them if they
return it. If I figure it out I recall the title, try get an additional copy or
make the MIA one  reference. (faculty can check out reference books for a class but
not keep them forever)

As I write there is a 7th grade teacher who left for the summer without returning
our set of Ken Burns Civil War documentary. First week in September I will be
hunting it down.

Lisa Von Drasek
Bank Street College of Educaton
610 West 112th st