You might be surprised to find out you can come up with a lot of FREE prizes
that kids love. At one school I was at where money was tight, I asked them
for their ideas for prizes that cost no money. I filled a page in a legal
pad with their ideas. Some I can remember were

to read under the tables
to get to skip Math class to read in the library
to get to be first to choose a book from the new books when they arrived
to get to have a picnic in the library while I read them a book
etc.

Even now, in my affluent school, I give many free prizes. Whenever we play
games, the prize is a coupon for an extra book. Kids love it because they
feel like they are getting something the others aren't and it's a sneaky way
to get more books in their hands. Another that is earned is a coupon
allowing the primary child to select 5 books for his teacher to read aloud.

Personally, since kids have pencils and I give away bookmarks, I'm not keen
on spending library money on cheap prizes. Instead, I get kid involvement
and get their buy-in and ideas for free.

Pat Miller
Sue Creech Library
Katy, TX
author of Substitute Groundhog, Stretchy Library Lessons, and Collaborative
Bridges