Well, maybe the responses weren't attached!!  Here they are:

Jenn

Having read more Gossip Girls books than I wish existed, I can say that
overall, I agree with this guy--this series shouldn't be in a middle
school library.  I had them in my high school library, but I think
they're inappropriate for middle schoolers.  Of course, that doesn't
mean that you shouldn't follow the challenge policy that's already in place.

I don't mean to upset you but, I had heard so much about this series I was
going to buy them.  While at a bookstore, I read the back cover.  With the
words similar to, "Like Sex and the City for girls" I decided it wasn't a
series I needed in my library for this very reason.

I have that series too in my middle school here (grades 7-8).

Does your district policy cover "reading a book in its entirety"?
Although we don't have these books in our district (our library director
decided they were too controversial--even at the high-school level), if
these parents took the time to read one complete novel (and not take
language, etc., out of context), they may realize that students have to
deal with these "temptations" on a daily basis and these novels actually
help them to think for themselves. They ask themselves, "what would I do
in a situation like this?" Students will probably make better decisions,
not worse decisions, after living vicariously through novels such as
these ones.

Good luck to you.  I wonder if you could not suggest that this book would
open conversation that this behavior is unacceptable.  Also, I find that
asking if they believe that the students are unaware of this behavior
going on and then they have the opportunity to converse about it.

I am in a HS & just added the Gossip Girl books because so many girls
were asking for them. I read the first one & yes, it is trashy. I
hesitated to add them to the collection, but this is a 9-12 setting and
I felt as though they were not any worse than what is on TV. And, after
all, the girls were clamoring for them! But, Literature, they are not!
Have you read any of them? If they are appropriate anywhere, they are
more appropriate for HS, IMHO.

As much as I believe that censorship should be avoided and we need to uphold
children's rights to read, I wouldn't have Gossip Girls in a middle school
library.  Pub Weekly recommends them for 15+ and SLJ reviews them as 9th
grade and up. I agree.  Middle schoolers aren't ready for the situations in
these books.
Just my 2 cents,

I would have to agree that this one is probably not appropriate for middle school.
Someone donated a copy to my library and I scanned through it today...wow!
BUT you have to be very careful with how you word your letter back to this
Family...you don't want word to get around that you will "cave" with every
Book that someone thinks is not appropriate for their angel.
If you choose to take it off the shelf you might want to say something to the
Effect of..."After reconsideration and the guidance of teachers and administration
We have chosen to place this book on the reserved shelf" or something like that...
So you haven't given it up, but you have given it thorough thought.

Having read them, I would not have them in a MS library.

I'm not familiar with this series of books, but what I have done in the past with
material (we are a CatholicSchool) is to judge whether it meets with the Mission
Statement of our school.  If it does not go along with it, it does not go in the
library.  Also, I have seen some of those questionable books in the hands of our
Middle School girls and have asked that if their parents don't mind that they read
them, then, they may read the book at home and not bring it to school.  Of course,
I have only done this after reading reviews, etc. about the books before I become
so bold.  That does not mean our fictional books do not have inappropriate words or
situations in them, but the context and the lessons behind these are taken into
consideration.

I have also declined to purchase Gossip Girls for our Library (7th & 8th
grade). We have The Clique series, but Gossip Girls seems slightly over
the line. There are plenty of other books that cover the same ground
without the "adult situations."

You've already purchased the book, though, so that's not much help. If
it were me, I would rely on the school's challenge policy. That's what
it's there for -- to protect you from having to justify your choices
individually and make arguments that parents can disagree with or pick
apart. I don't know your policy, but generally the idea is that the
books stay on the shelf until some compelling reason is given to do
otherwise. We collect materials according to some minimal professional
standards and shouldn't have to argue about each one, right?

If you try to handle it outside of policy channels and the parent only
becomes further infuriated -- and takes it to the press or the school
board -- then you've created a much more uncomortable scenario for
yourself, one which you've complicated by having collected something
which two of the more prominent and well-regarded review sources have
rated as being most appropriate for older readers.

My 2 cents: Invite the parent to fill out a challenge form, prepare your
arguments for the hearing, go through the motions, and, if necessary,
take your medicine. If you feel your distict needs a stronger policy,
advocate for one. The freedom to read is not going to suffer because 7th
graders couldn't read Gossip Girls at school.

In this case the parent is absolutely right!  Those books have no redeeming quality
and I will not stock them, even though they are way more popular than the books I
carry.  I tell my classes that the message that they and the "A-List" series' send
is , "If you're not cool, popular, rich, and hot,  you know what? You aren't worth
anything - and we're going to punish you for it!" A good article in the New York
Times last spring summed it up quite well.
     I don't feel it's a case of censorship, it's just a better use of the funds I
am given, and the students are reading a better overall quality of literature than
the Gossip Girls, which they are free to buy at the local bookstore.  They
understand my message and many are showing signs of appreciation for standing up
against this trash.
     Our school does alot with character education, including anti-bullying,
respect for oneself and one another, and
     A much better choice of series is the Beacon Street Girls, which was
introduced to us at our NJASL conference in October. They're geared towards tweens
and instruct girls how to make friends by being one. Check out their website.
Students can do the samae.

I had a challenge from the superintendent in my district and
I can tell you it was pure hell.  So while I can't offer any
you that I, along with most librarians, admire you for
standing up to censorship.

The parent is expecting a response from you today, but is he expecting a
decision?  I know I have a hard time making good decisions under
pressure.  How about just responding that you received his email, thank
him for his interest/concern, and say that due to a full schedule you
haven't had time to act on his concern today, but you have set the book
aside and will be investigating further.  You'll let him know what you
find out. That will let him know you are taking him seriously, but it
won't commit you to a decision either way just yet.

My general instinct is that the challenge policy should be followed at
all times.  However, if while you're preparing for a formal challenge,
you discover that the challengers are right, you aren't obligated to
defend the book.  If the reviews really do say this book is intended for
a high school audience, you will probably be fighting a losing,
time-consuming, and probably public battle.  Not everyone would agree
with me, but I think that the person who is responsible for deciding
which books get added to the collection, and then taking the heat for
those decisions, also has the right to say "Oops - looks like this one
didn't fit our collection development policy after all."  There are
books in my collection I'd fight to the death to keep, but I don't think
this would be one of them.

Remember, you and this dad are on the same side.  You both want what's
best for kids.

I don't know what grade range your school has, but I'm in a Pre-K-12 school.
  I read a Gossip Girl book and made the decision to restrict the book to
high schoolers and not get AR tests for them.  The rationale?  The main
characters in the books are at the end of their high school career.  I have
no problem not letting middle schoolers read them.  I don't know what I
would do if the characters had been middle school age.  I read your post
with interest to see how old the kids were who had parents who objected
because I'm sure there are high school parents in my school who would object
to the books, (and several others I have) if they knew we had them.  I'm not
suggesting that what I do is what you should do, but that's just one way I
determine if I will limit access or not.  The only reason to restrict access
as far as I'm concerned is to avoid hassle with parents.  In a perfect world
anyone could read anything.  But, of course, in a perfect world, I don't
think high schoolers would be acting like they do in the Gossip girl books
as well as many others.

I am a middle school librarian and although I am not familiar with this
particular series, I can suggest some things that might help although
people who have made up their minds as strongly as your parent(?) seems
to have are rarely willing to listen to reason.

Your parent seems to think that this material is being offered as a
role model for your students to follow.  Suggest instead that it is
designed to act as a cautionary tale.  Compare it to, for example, The
Wizard of Oz, in which Dorothy sees her life and surroundings as boring
and wants "adventure."  However, after her experiences in the book, she
is quite happy to be home again.

I assume that your library contains books about drug abuse and
describes the potential dangers involved in risky behaviors; likewise
you probably have materials that discuss the consequences of sexually
transmitted diseases.

These are not in your library to encourage those behaviors but to warn
against them.

As I said, I am not familiar with this particular series but hopefully,
there is some "redemption" at the end of the book in which the
protagonist chooses the safe, nerdy boy over the abusive big man on
campus.

Jennifer Bates

English Teacher
Central Columbia Middle School