I got some great advice on this question.  I couldn't resist picking up the book,
though.  I have to say I'm struggling to get completely caught up in it.  I was
totally into Inkheart, and consider Endymion Spring to be a lot like it.  It's a
good book, and the story line is wonderful, but I can't say I'm having a hard time
putting it down. . .

I haven't read Eragon, so I can't compare the two.  I will keep my copy of Endymion
Spring in the YA section, but have recommended our Jr. Librarian order a copy, too.
 I bought my niece Eragon from Amazon, as they have it for only 12.60, and I bought
her Inkheart as well.

Thanks everyone!  Here's the requested HIT on the subject:

I would recommend Endymion Spring to fans of Eragon. It's got a little
something for everyone: historical, fantasy, modern realistic,
mystery. Personally, I loved it. It is a little bit scary in parts,
but no moreso than Harry Potter. I would say grade 4-7 is about right.

Sonja

if she loves horowitz...have you considered the Among The Hidden series by
Haddix?  There are seven in the series-you could start with just a few (they
are in paperback).  I could not put it down.

Also any series by Gordon Korman: Island (3 books), Everest (3 books) and
Dive (3 books) are the ones I have read. These are certainly a lower reading
elvel than the other books mentioned.

I'm in the middle of it now.  Enjoying it and think my kids will, too.

Lisa McCulloch, Librarian
Richland High School

How old is your niece?  She might be old enough for these if she's in middle school.
I've just read Kenneth Oppel's "Airborn" & "Skybreaker" - great rolicking sort of
pirate-y stories with just a touch of romance.  (Air travel is by "airship" - what
we would think of as an "ship with sails" held aloft by a huge balloon with
hydronium.)  Check out the reviews at Amazon for more details.

"VAN"

 loved Endymion Spring. My son, an advanced 3rd grader, read it also. I
would recommend it for grades 5 and up.

Shelley DeLosh

 would put Endymion Spring on the same interest level as Harry Potter
-aimed mainly at ages 10-14, but crossing over to Young Adults and
adults, as Harry Potter does.
If your niece liked Eragon, I think she would like Endymion Spring.

Jill Brandon, Librarian

What about the Land of Elyon Books?  -- The Dark Hills Divide, Beyond
the Valley of the Thorns, and The Tenth City

Betty Lewis, Librarian

I would keep it in Junior - I just read it a few weeks ago and don't
remember anything too mature in it.  There is some suspense and mostly
implied violence but no more so than in HP and the Sorcerer's Stone.  In
fact, I think some YA readers would find it too tame.  Your niece would
probably like it but my sixth-grade daughter and I are both much more
interested in Rick Riordan's Lightning Thief and LA Meyer's Bloody Jack
series.

Becky

Raynette Schulte
Young Adult Librarian