Here is a posting of the responses about on-line MLS programs.

Jaime Meadows

St. Helens High School

St. Helens, OR

jaimem@shsd.k12.or.us

The University of North Texas offers an MLIS online.  They are
exceptional and have some great courses that might be of interest to
him.  They are also an ALA accredited university.

http://www.unt.edu/slis/

(Carol Simpson teaches courses here, too!)

University of Southern Mississippi can be done on-line or attend summers
only.

I don't know how accurate it is, but this site is a great site to start
looking.

http://www.becomealibrarian.org/DistanceEdComparison.htm

At the University of Central Arkansas, a LIBM candidate must have a
valid teaching degree and have taught before applying to the program.
If interested, contact UCA at www.uca.edu  The classes are on WebCT.
There are 2 classes that cannot be taken online because they naturally
involve work in the University library.  I am in my second semester and
love it!  I believe it is the only program offered in our state.  The
department head's name is Dr. Stephanie Huffman.

University of North Texas is excellent.

I would highly recommend the University of North Texas in Denton, TX.
They have an excellent online program and wonderful instructors, the
link is below.

UNT

http://www.unt.edu/slis/

University of North Texas has a good on-line MLS degree program.

I am finishing my last course at Florida State University this semester.
It's a top-rated program; I think I am well-prepared. However, it is one
of the few online programs where there is real-time class. I like that
aspect because it motivates me and I enjoy being in class via Blackboard
chat with the instructor and other students. It could be a drawback for
someone who is not willing or can't be in class online on a certain
night at a certain time. I'd highly recommend the program to anyone!

University of North Texas School of Library and Information Sciences has
graduated several students from Oregon from its online program,
including several school librarians. See our program offerings online at
www.unt.edu/slis.

I am currently working on my MLS and will complete it in May '06. I have
done it online through the University of North Texas. It has been a
wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it. With the exception
of two courses that require 4 consecutive days at the beginning of the
semester on campus the whole degree is completely online. For more
information you can go to their website at www.unt.edu/slis.

I attend the Mansfield University online program and it has students
from all over the US. The tuition seems pretty good for an online
school. Keep in mind this program isn't ALA accredited.

    Regarding this post, please add these insights regarding the online
programs when/if you post a hit....

       Anyone considering completing a degree online should check with
the Accreditation Division at her/his state's Department of Education as
each state has different guidelines and requirements regarding this
matter.  If you are considering moving to a different state after
graduation, I suggest you check with those states as well.

Rutgers University in NJ has an online program.  I'm in it online now.
I would recommend it.

I am currently going through the University of North Texas to get my
MLS.  I am in a cohort program where we met for two four day sessions
and then the rest of the program is online.

They are ALA accredited and I found that they are the best priced
program.

There web site is www.slis.unt.edu

I just completed my Masters in Library Science from the University of
North Texas.  I thought it was a very good program (a lot more rigor to
the program than my first Master's degree in Education).  Since I
already had a Master's degree & classroom experience, I was able to get
my Library Certification without attending any class days on campus.
When I decided to go ahead and get the Masters of Science I had to
attend a total of 2 weekends (Friday - Monday for one class, a Saturday
for one class, and the following Sunday, Monday for the last class).

I think the University's website is www.unt.edu - there is a link to the
Library Science school from there....